Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st M1 Garand

Looking to see what are top 5 makers of the garand. Any help is appreciated

Well to start with, there were only four. Winchester, Springfield, International Harvester, and Harrington & Richardson. Chances of an all original are very slim, and all correct isn’t much better.

Comment

A big part of the fun and pleasure with owning a Garand is using it. Recommend you look into getting a "Service Grade" from the CMP. It will probably an overhauled mixmaster but generally typical of what a soldier would be issued when the Garand was the standard issue infantry rifle after WWII. It will be a solid, reliable rifle and fairly accurate. I actually use mine as a utility rifle for protection from moose and bear, for hunting and for competition. You can look into a "collector" type rifle afterward, and become more knowledgeable on what to look for, and watch out for while you learn about your CMP rifle.
      Last edited by Smokey; 04-05-2021, 06:33 PM.
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
        Well to start with, there were only four. Winchester, Springfield, International Harvester, and Harrington & Richardson.
        Domestically, you are correct but if you want to pick the specks out of the pile, there is also Beretta and Breda made in Italy. They're just unobtainium in the states.

Then there is Springfield Armory Inc, the private corporation. Although no longer producing the M1 rifle, there are still plenty (too many in my opinion) of them around.

Bodine, there is no "best" M1 rifle. They were ALL made to USGI spec and ANY one is as good as ANY other, the SAI being the exception. So get the one you can afford.

Just sayin'.......
        Jon
        Last edited by TJT; 04-06-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I was identifying U.S. government contracts for the Garand. As a side bar, I would love to find a BM-59.

Comment

Working...
          X