Danish Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danish Garand

Usually more of an m14 kinda guy, so bear with me here. I have a chance to pick up an SA Danish returned Garand, and was wondering everyones general thoughts and consensus on them. I've attached the pics the seller has sent. Everything seems to be on the level.

Before I comment, just a question......can the current owner provide a list of the marked parts? I see the gas cylinder is Italian w/ a "K" on the bayo lug, which I believe is Danish contract. You will want to know how many marked parts are on the rifle before you trade / purchase it.

Anyone else care to chime in and help flip out????
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Help a brother out!

Comment

Got ya covered flip

Comment

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get a hold of this, I need more American-made in my safe. I have another question, would it be blasphemous to swap the beech wood stock when I get it? I know that they go along with the whole Danish return Garand original look.

Comment

Have a look at this video. Some nice info in here, and he talks about the beech stock quite a bit.

Comment

I like Danish returns.I used to have a WRA Danish return with original barrel.

Comment

Well, the trade fell through. Seller was thrown off by the amount of questions I was asking. No harm done, if he was thrown off by that, he's probably aware of a problem with the rifle and is trying to get rid of it. Oh well, life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by flipmasterj View Post
                  Well, the trade fell through. Seller was thrown off by the amount of questions I was asking. No harm done, if he was thrown off by that, he's probably aware of a problem with the rifle and is trying to get rid of it. Oh well, life goes on.
                  Wow, yeah that's not a good sign on his side of the deal. Probably better that you didn't get it. There are plenty of gems out there and decent folks who will take the time to answer any and all questions anyone would have on the rifle.

Comment

Beech is an interesting wood for stocks and European Beech was used quite a bit but often considered a substitute for Walnut. I wonder if the Danes, like the Italians, used European Walnut more frequently than Beech (or Birch). The photos posted look like European Walnut, That stock has all the characteristics of that variety. It was fairly plentiful and great to carve. Walnut from the mountains of Turkey is considered the ideal Walnut, and other European species are close behind.

American Black Walnut is what you see on most of our rifles, and I would assume the wood used on most Garands. I have some never issued M1D rear handguards that are European Walnut and have a very nice figure, they show more dark streaks than American Walnut, plus some curls and dots (hard to describe) in the grain that we don't get here. It is reported that it's
                    more resistant to cracking and fracture as well.... Just wondered as I looked at that YouTube video Jersey Devil posted. Very interesting rifle.
                    Last edited by Bulletguide; 09-12-2015, 02:55 PM.
                    Bruce Herrmann
                    "Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Ahhhh just wondering? What was the worry? Danish return rifles are held in pretty high regard.

Comment

Thats the thing, I don't know. I just asked one too many questions in the seller's mind, and he backed out. Oh well, may be going the CMP Service Grade route.

Comment

Working...
                        X