Looking into my 1st Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking into my 1st Garand

New member, and I have been eyeing owning an M1 for a long time now. As a prior-service Marine, its fitting I own one too.

Im looking to get one from the CMP, and was curious to the Service grade models. How are the in regards to finish and shootability? For $750 it seems like a deal. They also have the IHR Service grade for a few hundred more, but not sure its worth it?

The service grade is probably your safest bet for a solid rifle that's a good shooter. It will likely be a "mixmaster" with parts from a rebuild at an ordnance facility. It would probably be typical of what a Marine would be issued later in the service life of the Garand. Some folks have reported corrosion on the exterior surfaces and inside the stock. Generally the CMP has been very good at resolving any complaints from folks purchasing their rifles.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Stick with the service grade. You may get a WWII Springfield or a postwar Springfield or Harrington Richardson. The IHC is more expensive because of its collectability.
      Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by bigcountryfl View Post
        .....They also have the IHR Service grade....
        What's an IHR? Do you mean HRA or IHC?
        Jon

Comment

International Harvester Company. The tractor guys.

Comment

Working...
          X