Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ported gas plug

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    ported gas plug

    hi everyone,
    I finally got my M1 and I have some regular 30-06 ammo I got for now that Id like to use.

    I read about getting a gas plug with adjustable gas ports, then I've also seem some that aren't adjustable but they say they still make it safe to shoot commercial 30-06 ammo in the M1. Does anyone in here have any experience with them? Are they in face safe? Thanks a lot

    Phil

    #2
    I have purchased four of them. I think they are great for my application. As a reloader working with surplus powder with no data, they allow me to work up a load that compares with M2 ball without smoking the op rod. I haven’t shot commercial ammo, so have no thoughts on that other than if you follow the instructions it should work.

    Comment


      #3
      Check out the website “Schuster Mfg. INC. then decide for yourself.

      Comment


        #4
        The website "Garand Gear" also has a gas plug that works to limit the peak pressure on the operating rod. They have a lot of test data to back up their claims. I would add that having a well-greased rifle will reduce the load on the op rod to prevent bending.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

        Comment


          #5
          Not knowing the pressures of factory ammo, I personally would go with the adjustable gas system. That way as you move from one load to another you can adjust. This works like the FN-FAL, if you are familiar with that system.

          Comment


            #6
            Under lubrication will do a lot more harm than commercial ammo. The M1 rifle is a robust machine and needn't be treated with kidd gloves. Any commercial ammo with a bullet weight of 180 grains or less will be fine.
            Jon

            Comment


              #7
              Someone ran 500 rounds of 220gr factory loads through a well-greased Garand shooting Kodiak bear in Alaska. The rifle functioned fine and suffered no damage. Later he took the same rifle, de-greased it and fired M2 ball ammo in it. After a few rounds it froze up. If I remember correctly, the rifle was mounted above the cockpit on a Piper Cub (or similar aircraft) to shoot above the propeller, and that combination was used to thin down the bear population on Kodiak island.
              The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
              The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Pad3006 View Post
                hi everyone,
                I finally got my M1 and I have some regular 30-06 ammo I got for now that Id like to use.

                I read about getting a gas plug with adjustable gas ports, then I've also seem some that aren't adjustable but they say they still make it safe to shoot commercial 30-06 ammo in the M1. Does anyone in here have any experience with them? Are they in face safe? Thanks a lot

                Phil
                Define "regular 30-06 ammo." Some is simply inappropriate for an M1 Garand no matter what others here or elsewhere might tell you. That is unless you care very little about the longevity of many or the parts. Don't play the ammo despiration card concerning what you shoot in your Garand. What you are fortunate enough to get away with today ​​​​might bite you in the arse the day after.

                Obviously on Kodiac Island they could have cared less about longevity. Deciding to shoot ANY loads, reloaded or commercial, over 180gr should not exist in your thinking.

                Comment


                  #9
                  The stress on the rifle we're discussing is a function of the gas pressure at the gas port, when the bullet passes it, and the time the gas has to pressurize the system due to the speed of the bullet. In fact handloads using heavier bullets cause no harm to the rifle when tailored to the gas system. As far as factory ammo is concerned, most of it is tailored to bolt actions and use slower propellants to maximize velocity. In that case, even some 180gr loads might be excessive. The Garand Gear website has a lot of good information on factory ammo and the port pressures and velocities to help inform one on what might be appropriated for the rifle.
                  The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                  The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    There is zero evidence that factory ammo is tailored to bolt guns only.

                    Rem 220gr corelokts work just fine a garand and operate at the same pressure as milsurp....zero issues.

                    Remember those aftermarket add ons are a solution looking for a problem.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Fact. Some factory, commercial ammo is totally inappropriate for Garand use. Especially any over 180gr. Saying otherwise shows a lack of knowledge of the Garand design characteristics which are totally mechanical in design with no pressure compensation to protect it's critical gas systems. Pressures and velocity have little to do with it. Most commercial ammo contains powders that produce a pressure pulse and bolt speeds that can be detrimental to components in the mechanical Garand system. Commercial semi auto rifles have those systems to compensate, a Garand does not.

                      But, if you feel the need and have little regard for your rifle and it's operating components, use whatever ammo you want. Frankly I could care less. But, remember that some of the suggestions and advice here are inaccurate and ill advised. Your choice, your rifle, your money when it bites you.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                        Fact. Some factory, commercial ammo is totally inappropriate for Garand use. Especially any over 180gr.
                        Some...?? Like what...specifically... Rem Corelokts 220s are perfectly fine for garands.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
                          Some...?? Like what...specifically... Rem Corelokts 220s are perfectly fine for garands.
                          Based on what data? Please post your source. I believe all Coreloks are loaded with IMR 4350 or equivalent powder. With heavys that would make it an inappropriate ammo for Garand use. But, as I basically said before, you shoot whatever the hell you want. If it causes damage I won't even say, "I told you so." LOL, I think some people just make this stuff up. Social media, keyboard experts 101.

                          OP, if you are smart, buy yourself a GG "ported" gas plug (which it isn't really ported at all, just honed out) if you intend to shoot commercial ammo and limit your ammo choices to 180gr or less and enjoy your rifle for a lifetime of shooting fun. Do that and it's doubtful you'll ever need to replace a single part. Otherwise, buy operating system spare parts. Better yet, reload using established Garand applicable data readily available. Sorry though, you won't find data for 200-220gr bullets. Buy something newer than 75 years old to shoot that.

                          Other than that, this thread is a waste of time.
                          Last edited by lapriester; 03-07-2021, 12:11 AM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Empirical data is always better than conjecture. The measured data in the website below shows that even some 150gr ammo is a bit hot for the Garand, while some 180gr loads are within the limits for M2 Ball. As for long term effects, proper greasing of the rifle is extremely important:
                            M1 Garand Ammunition and the Ported Gas Plug (garandgear.com)
                            The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                            The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by lapriester View Post

                              Based on what data? Please post your source. I believe all Coreloks are loaded with IMR 4350 or equivalent powder. With heavys that would make it an inappropriate ammo for Garand use. But, as I basically said before, you shoot whatever the hell you want. If it causes damage I won't even say, "I told you so." LOL, I think some people just make this stuff up. Social media, keyboard experts 101.

                              OP, if you are smart, buy yourself a GG "ported" gas plug (which it isn't really ported at all, just honed out) if you intend to shoot commercial ammo and limit your ammo choices to 180gr or less and enjoy your rifle for a lifetime of shooting fun. Do that and it's doubtful you'll ever need to replace a single part. Otherwise, buy operating system spare parts. Better yet, reload using established Garand applicable data readily available. Sorry though, you won't find data for 200-220gr bullets. Buy something newer than 75 years old to shoot that.

                              Other than that, this thread is a waste of time.
                              One of the rifles below is shooting 220 Federal HS..one is shooting "garand safe" ammo. Oprod velocities are the same...so that means they operate at the same pressure.




                              Oh and yes you will find data for 200-220grn bullets... are you sure you know what you are talking about? 220s load just fine with the appropriate semiauto powders.
                              Last edited by Jeremy2171; 03-07-2021, 10:39 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X