Click image for larger version

Name:	Heel.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	27777 Click image for larger version

Name:	Heel.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	27778 Hi Folks, just joined this forum a minute ago after enjoying some incredible information here.

I have aquired a Garand through my father in law who recently passed away and finally got down to a complete tear down to clean and inspect. The serial number indicates a late post war Springfield in the mid 5 million numbers, but there are absolutely no other markings on the top of the receiver. No manufacturer, no "US Rifle" etc.
    I also could find no markings of any kind on the barrel even using magnifier.
    I have to say the serial stamping does not look quite as even as most pics I have seen of others.

Any ideas on what I really have here?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Iowa68; 02-06-2021, 11:13 PM.

Pull the action out of the stock. If it’s a USGI receiver that had the outer markings removed it should still have some markings below the wood line on the front right corner.

Comment

Could this receiver be a casting? In the cobwebs of my mind I faintly remember hearing about or seeing some of these. I believe the were from a company on the west coast.

Comment

The unevenness and lack of additional index markings for the windage tend to indicate a casting, but I could well be wrong about that.

Comment

You would need to post additional photos of the receiver

Comment

Just a quick general question related to this post. Did SA and H&R have overlapping serials? Based on the chart here http://usriflecal30m1.com/ProductionGraph.aspx they do, but I wanted to be sure.
            M1,Garand,M1 Garand, US Rifle Cal 30 M1, miliataria, milsurp, military weapons, CMP,WWII, World War II, Civilian Marksmanship Program, John C Garand, M1 Parts, Garand Parts, M1 Garand Parts, Winchester, Springfield Armory, Harrington and Richardson Arms, International Harvester, M1 Garand Master List, Springfield Garand, WRA Garand, IHC Garand, HRA Garand, .30-06

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I fear this is a fake...at least the receiver. The serial looks to be "re-stamped" since ghosting is visible. Looking like the top of the heel was at some point sanded or filed down and possibly re stamped afterwards. Also, in all the photos I have been looking at, that heel shape does not look familiar.
              Have included more pics. the only other marking on the receiver is that triangle in a circle. I am not advanced enough in my metals experience to decide if this is a casting or forged. Also there are absolutely no markings of any kind on the barrel.
              Attached Files

Comment

A few more
                Attached Files

Comment

That looks like a medium weight barrel. Does the barrel have any markings?

Comment

That receiver is cast. Notice the rough, grainy surface? Real M1's are machined and smooth.
                    Jon

Comment

Yeah that's what I figured.
                      I would have thought a fake would have at least faked the manufacturer stamps as well.

Guess I need to go find a real one now.

Comment

Obtain a few books and read them before you get "took" again. It takes YEARS of study to really know what you're looking at / for. I've been at this game 40+ years and I'm still learning. There's "new" information being discovered all the time.
                        Jon

Comment

Absolutely good advice. In this case my father in law was a pretty prolific gun purchaser and I think he bought this one on his later years. For all I know he might have known this was a fake but grabbed it anyway. He also had about 500 rounds of 180 grain rounds that should not go through these rifles.
                          It'a a shame as this really cycles very smoothly but I have no intention of range time with it.

Any input on what I should do with this one would be appreciated. If I were to sell it I would make it clear that it's not genuine. Wondering if it should be advised against shooting? Is it worth anything at all?

Many thanks for the info and I'm looking forward to learning more here before making a decision on the genuine one!

Comment

Before giving up all hope reach out on the web for cast receivers. Some were ok, others not.

Comment

The 180 grain rounds SHOULD be fine to shoot in an M1 rifle. Tha general rule of thumb is ANY 30-06 ammo not exceeding 180 gr bullet is ok in the M1. Remember, it was designed with the 174 grain bullets in mind.
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X