Pls help identify Gas Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pls help identify Gas Cylinder

need help identifying and putting a year on gas cylinder please. I took this one of my 1953 IHC the other day and replaced it with a different one that matches the patina of the barrel .

I know the front sight is not IHC and probably SA. But I'm wondering if this is a IHC gas cylinder. I've looked and scoured and the just can't quite figure it out. I think it's a IHC.

It has a wide base and I looked with a 3x lighted jeweler eye thing and can't find a single mark on it anywhere. I did notice the bayonet lug has that football look IHC's are supposed to have. I noticed the bottom of the swivel screw has a circular indent in it and don't know if that means anything ? I also am wondering if anybody knows if the swivel is IHC or not ? Thanks ahead of time for any input and knowledge given. I appreciate the time taken to help me gain some knowledge.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Fd?usp=sharing

Pathfork

The sights on a IHC measure 0.875 across the wings. Your gas cylinder plug should be marked IHC or NHC. Both mfg. used the wide base as yours looks. As far as the gas cylinder goes, that without the ‘C’ you can’t tell IHC from HRA. I’m not an expert.

Comment

The area that you look at is under/around the bayo lug, yours does not have the football shape .

Comment

Compared your pics to my complete SA/HRA rifle gas cylinders and a half dozen loose SA both WW2 and postwar.... and my overall impression was that it is an SA gas cylinder.

Comment

Lava Tech, As he doesn’t find any markings or punch marks plus the bevel at the front is missing, would indicate it’s not SA.

Comment

You may want to look closer, and not all SA cylinders are obtrusively marked with punches by the stacking swivel and/or finish identifiers on the ring. I'll still readily admit that I could be very wrong, not being by any means an expert identifier of M1 gas cylinders.

Comment

It has been brought to my attention someone believes there a left slanted V on top of back ring. Does anyone agree ? And is that a known mark ?

Comment

Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
                Lava Tech, As he doesn’t find any markings or punch marks plus the bevel at the front is missing, would indicate it’s not SA.
                Not all SA have these indicators.
                As I said before IMO its a SA Post War gas cylinder

Comment

Below is the answer I was given for my question.

Early postwar SA gas cylinder.

These cylinder had the letter or number codes on them and could have been left over from WWII production.

These cylinders were used on new SA rifles from the 4.20M range to approximately the 4.38M range.

Comment

WWII wide base cylinders will have a BB sized indent by the stacking swivel screw, yours does not so it is a Post War cylinder
                    Last edited by Orlando; 01-21-2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

WWII wide base indent by screw

Comment

Working...
                      X