1944 Garand stock markings photo and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1944 Garand stock markings photo and question

I posted this on the milsurps forum and only got one response and he gave no reason for his judgement so trying here. I only know enough to be dangerous so forgive my ignorance. do these markings seem right? the DAS stamp was from a later era but I guess could have been added during a refit? my question is shouldn't there also be an ordinance wheel stamp? perhaps these cartouches are fake.Click image for larger version  Name:	cartouche.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	27177

I did respond to your question but also responded today for you to check the sticky thread by Rick Borecky on the stock cartouche quiz where you can view both original and fake Winchester cartouches

Comment

I just saw that on the other site. and left thanks.

Comment

My book says....WRA/GHD, col. Guy H. Drewry, 1,2xx,xxx to end of production. Where is the Winchester Ordnance Escutcheon? Not an expert but I would question these markings.
        Last edited by Beltfed; 01-13-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Rick Borecky on the milsurps site has stated that the marks are fake. as far as I know he is the authority on the subject. glad I asked before proceeding...

Comment

Those are not genuine Cartouches, fake. Nothing about either one is close. No DAS would be on a Winchester stock, FYI.

Comment

Numrich use to sell fake stamps like the above marking. My friend was at a Reno NV gunshow two years ago and there was a man stamping cartouches on M1 rifles stocks at his table while you waited !

Comment

just like printing money.

Comment

Working...
                X