Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JLG Garand

Hello!

I am new here and am trying to determine an insurance value for my Springfield JLG Garand. It is correct and seems original with a 4/53 barrel and all proper parts. It is in really great shape. I look forward to any thoughts . . . not interested in selling it . . . looking to determine an insurance value.

Thanks!
    Tom

Need more photos. Questions needed to be answered: (1) Any import markings, (2) TE reading, (3) ME reading, (4) Is it a DCM Rifle with box and paperwork. (5) Any rebuild electric pencil etchings on right side receiver legs.

Comment

RDS,

Thanks for the response.

1 — No import markings of any kind.
      2 — I do not have the guages, but the bullet test shows very little wear.
      3 — I do not have the guages, but the bullet test shows very little wear.
      4 — I do not know if it was a DCM rifle or not. It was given to me to pay for some photography work I did for a gunsmith who specialized in the M1 and M14 rifles.
      5 — I will double check, but I believe there are NO additional markings on the receiver legs.

Again, I am not looking to sell the rifle, just want to make sure it is adequately reflected in my insurance policy in case of loss.

Best,
      Tom

Comment

Look at the punch mark on the receiver in front of the rear sight. Use a magnifying glass. If never refinished it will look like a bomb crater with displaced metal around the punch mark. If the displaced metal is missing it has been refinished at least once. If so, then the stock was most likely sanded meaning the cartouche would be faint or missing. More pictures as stated above are needed.

Comment

Beltfed,

Thanks for the feedback. The punch mark appears unaltered, and the stock cartouche seems crisp. I do not believe the stock has been sanded. There is no electro pencil markings anywhere on the weapon including the receiver legs.

As I said, I am really looking for a value estimate for insurance purposes only. I am not interested in selling the rifle at this time. As far as additional photographs, what specifically do you need to see?

Thanks!
          Tom

Comment

Bolt markings, barrel markings, stock markings, op rod marking, receiver markings, trigger group & hammer markings, gas cylinder and gas plug. All this would help. Straight early 1953 SA M1 that have not been altered are not common.

Comment

RDS,

Below is a data sheet on my rifle. It lines up number for number with the JLG example in Scott Duff's Post WWII Garand book. The only thing I cannot figure out is what is stamped on the rear sight's elevation knob. It seems to be NHC, but I cannot find any reference to that marking in Scott Duff's book.

========================

DATA SHEET: M1 Garand (JLG)

MANUFACTURER — Springfield Armory

SERIAL NUMBER — 42712XX

RECEIVER:
              DRAWING NUMBER— D652891 43
              HEAT LOT NUMBER — A 41 B

BARREL SIDE MARKINGS — SA D6535448 4 53 A193A __ P

BOLT:
              DRAWING NUMBER — 6528287-SA
              HEAT LOT NUMBER — US2

OPERATING ROD — 6535382 SA

GAS CYLINDER LOCK — High Hump

GAS CYLINDER LOCK SCREW — P O

TRIGGER HOUSING — 6528290 SA
              TRIGGER GUARD — Stamped without milled hook
              HAMMER — SA D5546008
              SAFETY — SA II

BULLET GUIDE — Stamped with Notch

FRONT SIGHT — 5/8” Wide

REAR SIGHT:
              ELEVATON KNOB — NHC ??
              WINDAGE KNOB — DRC

STOCK — SA/JLG Cartouche

========================

Hope this helps. As I mentioned before, there are no import markings, no electro pencil markings, and no arsenal markings. I believe this rifle to have its original parts and finish. I look forward to the thoughts of folks here as to value for insurance purposes.

Thanks!
              Tom

Comment

Hi Tom
                In my neck of the woods would sell in the $1500.00 range maybe more. Prices vary from one area of the country to another.

Comment

NHC on elevation knob is New Haven Clock Company

Comment

RDS,

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

Best,
                    Tom

Comment

Jak,

Thank you for the additional information. I did not find that manufacturer in either of Scott Duff's book nor did I stumble across it in Canfield's "The M1 Garand Rifle" book. Is there another reference I should seek?

Best,
                      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by My P38's View Post
                        Jak,

Thank you for the additional information. I did not find that manufacturer in either of Scott Duff's book nor did I stumble across it in Canfield's "The M1 Garand Rifle" book. Is there another reference I should seek?

Best,
                        Tom
                        You can either bookmark this on your web browser or print it out and store it in one of your books.
                        John

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...57&postcount=4

Comment

Working...
                        X