Hang fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang fire

I’ve posted this but nobody has answered. It has not happened yet on my M-1 Garand. But I have had it happen on my 1903 Springfield. Greek Ammo, on stripper clips, bought it at a gun show, 250 rounds in a Ammo can supposedly from Greese. That may not be true. But this is what happened. I had a hang fire, meaning I dropped the hammer and the round did not go off, I recharged the firing pin fired again, still nothing. A few seconds later the round went off. I cycled the bolt the casing discharged and she reloaded. That round and the rest of the five rounds went off, no hitch.my question is how do you handle that situation with a Garand? Meaning a Hang fire when the round does not go off?

First, DO NOT OPEN THE ACTION !!!!!!!
    Then, maintain control of the rifle (i.e. don't lay it down and walk away from it).
    Wait, at least 30 seconds. A full minute would be better.
    If it hasn't gone off, you have 2 options: 1) open the action and remove the offending round, or 2) keeping the rifle pointed down range, unlatch the trigger guard and recock the hammer using the trigger guard as if it were a lever action rifle. Rehook the guard and try refiring the offending round. If still no discharge, repeat the above.
    Jon

Comment

Okay thank you TJT from a tech to a staff, I was thinking along those lines. And never but never open the action, Mid you this has never happened I’ve owned One Garand, but you suggest removing the trigger assembly, re Cocking, question? what about the ?Safety. Do you have a suggestion?

Comment

I did NOT say to remove the trigger group. I said to unhook the trigger guard (NOT remove any thing) and use it like a lever action to cock the hammer. Most people don't know about this feature of the M1 rifle.
        Jon

Comment

When you unlock and swing down the trigger guard you will also re-cock the hammer if it has been released. That's why you do not need to remove the trigger group. Just swing the trigger guard down full travel, and then back up to relock it. This is an intentional part of the design.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Okay Smoky: I was concerned on just how to handle this, as I said on a previous post. I bought this Ammo. At a gun show, when I opened the can I seen Bandoliers, and figured that was what was their. That was not the case, about 60 loose rounds were on the bottom of the ammo,can. I inspected the rounds 150gr M2 ball, I loaded the loose rounds in Stripper clips, 5 round units. All in all I’ve had 3 rounds that delayed fire. The Bandoliers 3 of them 48 rounds each are for a Garand. Thank you, Smokey and TJT. For your response, with a salute! AJ.

Comment

The loose rounds that had hangfires might also be very old, possibly with corrosive primers. What date is on their headstamps? There is a procedure for cleaning after using corrosive ammo to prevent damage to the bore. Take a patch with some water and ammonia and run it down the bore and back. Follow with dry patches to dry the bore. Finally run a patch with oil down the bore and back to leave a film for protection.

Comment

Hi Smokey: that hang fire happened on my 1903, ammo is Greek I think. I bought it at a gun show probably mid 40s to mid 50s 150gr, M2 ball the primers look fine no white power or discoloration. Happened 3 times, one casing had a dark spot the other two were clean. 3 bandolears were in the ammo box the 60:loose rounds were on the bottom. Haven’t fired the Bandolears there M-1 Garand clips. Also have 2 sardine cans of Greek ammo. Also bought at a different gun show a few years later,different guy. Haven’t seen any decent priced Greek ammo in quite a while. I usually go to two gun shows a year, prices are getting crazy, trying to get hooked up with packrat, he is down right now apparently recovering from Surgery. Thanks for the response I did what you suggested, I probably over maintain. Salute AJ

Comment

US M2 Ball dated to 1952 is corrosive. Many foreign nations used corrosive primers longer. The empty cases probably won't show anything. The damage will be in the barrel of the rifle it was used in. Glad you took the steps needed. I've used corrosive 7.62x54R ammo in various Moisin Nagants for 40 years with no bore damage by simply cleaning out the potassium salts left by the primers after each use, then normal cleaning and oiling.

Comment

Ya Smokey, I probably over maintain if that’s possible, and I am not rich that’s for sure, I am looking for some more M-2 ball, 150gr. If I could get maybe 42 rounds a month that would support me just fine. I’ve always been a Hoppies user and I know lots of new cleaning products on the market. But I still prefer Hoppies. And Remington oil. I grease with Lubriplate, #9
                    . Hey Smokey have a great holiday, Salute AJ

Comment

Hey I can’t believe this and you will not either, I got my Garand took it apart inspected it missed a couple things, went to the range, fired a Clip,loaded a second Clip on the fourth round she did not fire, I have a milled trigger guard, tried to re cock it, And I realized the safety was half way on/off. Safety should click when you place it on or off.I cleared the round by placing a thick piece of canvas over the action the round came right out, and I was able release the clip. The round in the chamber, the primer was not dented. I gave up went home. I started doing research on another subject. Couple days later I looked at the Garand. It shot great at the range, tried to remove the trigger assembly, finally got the safety off and removed that assembly. After that I ended up soaking the trigger assembly in Mouse Milk, that did wonders the hammer would not release, went to You Tube looked at a few videos I pulled the wrong pin when I tried to disassemble the trigger assembly. Any way when I drained the Mouse Milk into the bottle I strained it thru 3 paint filters, that stuff is expensive, lots of dark black trash. I totally cleaned the trigger assembly only lubed the safety pin and it really works smooth. All of us are going to the range in .February when it reopens. HNY AJ ( look at my post December 25th, trash, I took photos had trouble posting them,I finally figured out the system, 8 year old helped me. HNY AJ
                      Last edited by AJ Brink; 12-26-2020, 03:33 PM. Reason: safety should click if it’s installed properly!

Comment

Working...
                      X