Question about a sportarized rifle I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a sportarized rifle I have

Greetings all. A couple years ago I bought, very inexpensively, this M1 that had been sportarized. It had some nostalgic feel for me since my grandfather had one very similar to it. Anyway I originally was asking a question about it on another forum that has since shutdown. My thoughts on this rifle have since been revived because of some discussion with a friend about whether we could revive the barrel with spray welding. That's a different topic all together.

When last I left the conversation on the last forum, some of the members commented that there might be some uniqueness to the hammer assembly in this unit. However I only vaguely remember what they were talking about. An "L" style hammer or something? Anyone have any thoughts about what they were talking about? I'm not much of a real collector. I just had a good chance to buy it cheap. haha I forgot at the time that you can't put original wood back on it because the barrel is different now. Can this be knocked down far enough to swap out an orginal style barrel?

Image gallery: https://imgur.com/a/B4z2e

Thanks everyone!

Your hammer looks like what collectors call a "dogleg" hammer - depending on the markings could be worth over $100 ? I am not a carbine collector nor have any interest but have been around them for a long time. You should be able to find a carbine barrel that is not something of value to the collectors. There are variations on the adjustable rear sight as I was attempting to find out the value of these two sight in my photos for possible sale. Very important in rebuilding a carbine with another barrel is the headspace Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3431.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	26359 Click image for larger version  Name:	dscn3433.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	26360
    Last edited by RCS; 12-02-2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• RCS
      RCS commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to add, the gunsmiths at CMP could re-barrel your carbine, re-stock it and parkerize the metal

Finding a normal barrel shouldn't be too brutal should you want to return it to it's original glory, but I almost want to say let it live like it is. At first blush, whoever did the work did a fairly decent job. The front sight almost looks like it belongs there. Looks interesting blued. Would be interesting to see what parts you have are from what manufacturer too. (Can't really tell in the photos provided.) There should be markings on the major ones like hammer, trigger group, bolt, operating slide, etc. that could shed some light on the overall piece. Too bad there weren't any photos with the sporterized wood on. That and maybe a blued dovetailed block with some form of Redfield (like the front) peep rear sight to get it shooting again if not taking one of the adjustables RCS showed, stripping off the Parkerizing, and bluing it before fitting it in the dovetail so it would look right if you were to leave it the way it is. Would be interesting to see how it looks all together. Probably pretty cool.

I'm a big fan of the Craig Reisch book "US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" as a starter reference to help identify the various parts and learn some production history. There are a few small areas that are a little squirrelly on the info (mostly typos), but overall, it's pretty good. He also shows the differences in hammer styles among other photos. There's a book by Robert Gibson, "Guide To Collecting The M1 Carbine" that is also very helpful among others I can't pull out of my brain right now since I don't have them handy (so, actually not from my brain...derp...).

FYI:
    Quality Hardware only made receivers, so finding other manufacturer's parts on them isn't wrong. They produced from Dec 1942 through April 1944 including some made with receivers made by subcontractor Union Switch & Signal that were marked Un-Quality in the 4,432,100-4,532,099 serial number block. 359,666 total made in six total serial number blocks (including the one previously mentioned) for a total percentage of 5.9% of total Carbine manufacture. Only Rock-O-La, Standard Products, and I.B.M. made fewer total Carbines (Inland and Winchester made the most), Rock-O-La being the scarcest next to Irwin-Pederson which only produced a few thousand that were accepted before their contract was taken over by Saginaw Steering Gear Grand Rapids. Barrels were typically supplied by Rock-O-La to Quality Hardware, but not exclusively. The bulk of their production was in 1943 and 1944. (Interestingly, only 4 were made in 1942. Winchester made 5 in 1941, and Standard Products made 5 in 1942, so this isn't completely odd.)

Comment

Working...
    X