Garand usage today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garand usage today

Took my Garand out on the property yesterday while I checked on it. I don't have to worry about being charged by moose anymore, and the bear are far more afraid of humans here. It's still a good utility rifle that can handle most anything suitable for a rifle.
    Who else actually uses a Garand for hunting, self-protection, competition and plinking?
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

1. Hunting... Don't hunt
    2. Self-protection. I won't use a garand for home invasion. I would used a shotgun or my 1911. Now if there was looting and rioting
    the garand would be my backup rifle. My M1A with 20 round mags is my first choice.
    3. Competition...I use the garand all the time.
    4. Plinking...I use my 22's for plinking
    Last edited by jak; 11-15-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

1) I don't hunt.
      2) It's my SHTF go-to rifle. Momma gets the carbine and I don't own any black plastic rifles. Bolt guns are too slow.
      3) All I shoot is GSM and service rifle in comp, so yes.
      4) Plinking, one of many different calibers /action types.
      Jon
      Last edited by TJT; 11-19-2020, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Hunting.....I don’t hunt

Self-Protection......depends. If I got a group of punks ( in a SHTF scenario) who want to break into my house and want to kill me or my family, I’ll let the old girl take three in one shot if they are aligned right. Other than that I will use the M16 clone for that role. I’ve got a feeling the old lady wouldn’t be comfortable in a police evidence locker.

Competition. Used to take mine to the range often, but due to ammo shortages and cost, I have been reserving my ammo.

Plinking. Fills that role on New Years, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Veterans Day and in commemoration of the Battle of the Bulge.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
          Took my Garand out on the property yesterday while I checked on it. I don't have to worry about being charged by moose anymore, and the bear are far more afraid of humans here. It's still a good utility rifle that can handle most anything suitable for a rifle.
          Who else actually uses a Garand for hunting, self-protection, competition and plinking?
          I think the Garand is a really good field gun. A self loading above medium power 30 caliber with proven reliability. It has out lived its use as a SHTF rifle. It's just too heavy, long and slow acting.

My list for that is fairly long however a 16" AR in the new 6MM ARC is being built as I write. A 108 grain projectile at 2,500+ FPS in an 8lb rifle with true 700 yard functionality that operates at 52,000 PSI. Acts like an M2 in close and better long range then a 7.62 NATO.

Comment

I do not hunt these days, (if I did, I would use my Garand for deer). Home defense, not if they are close up, competition, have never competed with any firearm. Recreation shooting is what I use my Garand, Carbine, and 1911 for as well as my S&W Victory .38 special for. Matter of fact, I am headed to the range today with my Garand and Carbine.

Comment

Originally posted by David Milisock View Post

I think the Garand is a really good field gun. A self loading above medium power 30 caliber with proven reliability. It has out lived its use as a SHTF rifle. It's just too heavy, long and slow acting.

My list for that is fairly long however a 16" AR in the new 6MM ARC is being built as I write. A 108 grain projectile at 2,500+ FPS in an 8lb rifle with true 700 yard functionality that operates at 52,000 PSI. Acts like an M2 in close and better long range then a 7.62 NATO.
              I have a small selection (depending on circumstances). As for the Garand out living its usefulness, don't think so! Ammo for an M1, M1A, or an AR will be far more plentiful than the specialty calibers. Most of the time the need to shoot at 700+ yards will be a non issue, and if it is, just wait a little while, they will get closer. Besides the M1 makes a great temporary shelter support when needed!

Don't want to let them know where you are to soon, after all what kind of sportsmanship is that demonstrating?

Comment

Originally posted by SA1941 View Post

Competition. Used to take mine to the range often, but due to ammo shortages and cost, I have been reserving my ammo.
                Learn to reload. Components are always available. There's always a variety to choose from if your favorite ingredients aren't in stock. No need to be "reserving" ammo.
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post

I have a small selection (depending on circumstances). As for the Garand out living its usefulness, don't think so! Ammo for an M1, M1A, or an AR will be far more plentiful than the specialty calibers. Most of the time the need to shoot at 700+ yards will be a non issue, and if it is, just wait a little while, they will get closer. Besides the M1 makes a great temporary shelter support when needed!

Don't want to let them know where you are to soon, after all what kind of sportsmanship is that demonstrating?
                  I agree about the 700 yard shooting. However I started out carrying an M2 in M1A1 configuration, a damn fine weapon inside 150 yards just no reach, the M4 is also a very fine weapon. The problem with the M4 is reach beyond 350 gets problematic.

I still have an M1A1 and a tactical 30 carbine, my AR has a 20" barrel. The AR in 6MM ARC at least for a year or more will require that I load. Working a load and knocking out a few thousand rounds for practice is not a problem I've been feeding my Carbines for years and to make an AR shootvwell you can't use the military issue crap.

The Garand is a fine rifle it's day as a tactical choice has long past, it does work well forhunting but it does not fit in a truck easily and is difficult to be responsive inside 30 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post

Learn to reload. Components are always available. There's always a variety to choose from if your favorite ingredients aren't in stock. No need to be "reserving" ammo.
                    Jon

not around here. All the usual sources for 30 cal bullets have been hoarded by a few people and the ones that do have some to sell are asking 10 prices for boxes of 100. I checked with a local source for powder and he had no more IMR 4895 available and can not get any from suppliers. Maybe you are luckier where you are located.

Comment

SA1941, any medium rate powder will work. I use Winchester 748 ball powder a lot. H335 might be another candidate. As for bent operating rods, that's more a risk with inadequate lubrication increasing the drag in the whole system. Make sure the rifle is greased throughout, and avoid super hot loads and you should get good service with medium rate propellants and bullets in the range of 140 to 170 grains. As for bullets, I'm very well supplied so I haven't checked lately.
                      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                        SA1941, any medium rate powder will work. I use Winchester 748 ball powder a lot. H335 might be another candidate. As for bent operating rods, that's more a risk with inadequate lubrication increasing the drag in the whole system. Make sure the rifle is greased throughout, and avoid super hot loads and you should get good service with medium rate propellants and bullets in the range of 140 to 170 grains. As for bullets, I'm very well supplied so I haven't checked lately.
                        I'm seeing a serious reduction in the availability of loading supplies. When I'm looking for something now I gather a list of wants and substitutes and spend the day driving around to several shops.

Comment

^^^^This. What are some good substitutes for powder and bullets? Thanks Smokey for mentioning the Winchester 748 powder. Lubrication is never a problem. I use Lubriplate bearing grease or Mobil 1 synthetic. Great stuff. Thanks guys for the input.

Comment

Working...
                          X