Last round not chambering help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last round not chambering help.

I bought a very late production SA Garand a couple weeks ago. I posted about it in the Post War Garand forum but I thought I would ask here as that area has very little involvement. The rifle shot fabulously for a box of twenty rounds of Federal 180 gr soft points. At two clicks up from the basement, it hit dead on at 100 yards into 2 3/4” for 8 rounds after a three shot and then five shot sighter groups to see and adjust where it was hitting. I was prone in the back of my truck off of a Caldwell bag. Not quite bench stability but almost as good. I only put the 20 rounds through it until I have time to work up a proper Garand load. On both of the full clips, only the last round failed to chamber. I then shot a half clip to finish out the twenty, and the same problem occurred. Initial online info search suggested two possibilities. One person mentioned he had to “bend follow arm” to fix the same symptom, which I assume he meant “follower arm?” Someone else mentioned commercial hunting ammo causing high bolt speed that outpaces the magazine. This possibility would suggest that the problem is only noticed on the last round maybe because that is where the least spring pressure is available and where the bolt is actually able to overtake the follower speed. Being a Garand novice, I thought I would ask for experiences of others to see if other opinions exist. I am aware that many believe hunting ammunition to be completely inappropriate in a Garand and I am not disputing that this may be the case. Please offer any experience you may have with this symptom. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bearstopper; 11-03-2020, 01:02 AM.

Comment

First off I wouldnot be using 180gr soft points commercial ammo in a garand. Second make sure that rifle is properly greased and replace op rod spring with one from Orion 7
      Bet your issues go away

Comment

Plus one on what Orlando stated.

Comment

As always, Bill is spot on.
          Jon

Comment

Working...
          X