M1 .308 or 30 06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 .308 or 30 06

I am a new owner of a M1 Garand. I had some question to which caliber the gun was. I looked up the drawing number sa6535448 and from what I found out it should be a 30 06. But a 30 06 shell did no fit. The barrel is dated 3 63. The op rod has 7.62/2 stamped on it. I put in a .308 shell and it went in and ejected. The information when I purchased the gun was it is .308. I found no information stamped on the barrel that it was .308. Is this something that is common? I did find an article that said they converted 30 06 to .308 sometime between 1962 - 1965 and some were not documented. Does any one know of this. All numbers on the gun date 1941 except barrel.

Is op rod stamped 7.62MM/2 ?? If so I believe what you have is a Italian "Tipo 2"conversion. The barrel and op rod is 1/2 inch shorter than a standard Garand

Comment

Thank you for the information.

Comment

Shawn
        Check your butt stock for markings MT. About 20yrs ago Sarco sold 7.62 Nato M1 Garand Italian conversion kits. Kit consisted of new SA barrel in 7.62 Nato, op rod and new Italian butt stock. The barrels were converted by the Italian arsenal by taking a new SA barrel in 30-06 and cutting a 1/2 inch off the breach end, rethreading and chambering in 7.62 Nato. The op rods were shortened 1/2 inch and new piston welded on. The new made butt stocks and hand guards were made 1/2 inch shorter. Have your headspace checked on the rifle using 7.62 Nato gauges. Do not use .308 Winchester gauges. Its been reported that some of the new Italian 7.62 Nato converted barrels were chambered on the long side. These rifles shoot very well if headspace is in spec. Sarco sold kits later on that had used barrels not new barrels in the kit. Can you post photos of the op rod?
        Last edited by RDS; 09-28-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X