Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m a new Garand owner and I’m looking for ammo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m a new Garand owner and I’m looking for ammo.

What ammo is safe to use in the Garand?
    0%
    Where can I buy Garand Range ammo on the internet?
    0%

Welcome in Sir! I'm a little confused about the poll. If we just pick one then vote, even if we vote for the 2nd option, "where you can buy M1 Garand range ammo on the internet", that's not helping in your search for ammo..
    m14brian

Comment

• Ron Kob
      Ron Kob commented
      Editing a comment
      Howdy and thanks for the reply. I have two Garand ammo questions. 1) I’m confused about what kind of ammo to use. Garand specific ammo is hard to find. I have some 150 grain Winchester ammo that I use in my 30:06 bolt action rifle and it cycles ok in the Garand. I haven’t shot it yet but cycling that ammo through the Garand using the charging handle without firing works ok. I don’t understand the difference between standard 150 grain ammo and Garand specific ammo. I have about 100 rounds of 150 grain ammo and I assume and hope that my difficulty in finding Garand ammo is the same ammo shortage caused by panic buying. I intend to use Garand ammo when I find it but until then, is there a problem using non Garand specific ammo? And 2) I live in Texas and I usually buy ammo from SGAmmo in Stillwater Oklahoma. They have everything I need but they are in the same pinch that other ammo suppliers are in. I intend to use the Garand for Range Shooting only. Where can I buy Garand Range ammo on the internet?? I have a lot of riles and the Garand has been a bucket list item and the gun shop that I go to got a couple of garands in and gave me a good deal. Thanks for your help

150 grn. Ammo is not the same as Garand Specific ammo. 150 grn. is describing bullet weight and not powder charge. Modern commercial 30-06 uses a slower burning powder than the M2 spec ammo originally intended for use in the M1. The closest powder to mil spec available today is IMR 4895 and is a faster burning powder, which in turn, generates lower gas pressures than slow burning powder used in all commercial ammo today. Slower burning powder makes higher gas pressure and therefore has a tendency to over load the gas system and cause damage, albeit not always immediately visible or known. Damage is cumulative. So is metal fatigue. While Garand specific ammo may indeed use 150 grn. bullets, it is not the same as standard 150 grn off the shelf ammo. That is the bullet weight and has nothing to do with powder type or charge. Most 150 grn 30-06 you will find has velocities exceeding 2910 feet per second. M2 spec ammo using the same weighted bullet is moving at a slower 2710 FPS approximately. PPU makes the best M2 spec ammo available today. You can buy it in bulk from places like Target Sports USA, SG Ammo, and the like. Never use commercial ammo in a M1 unless you take the gas plug out and use it as a straight pull through bolt action rifle. Plenty of correct ammo is available today for use, so don’t skimp out on what can be bought at Walmart. Hope that helps.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-06...nd-ammo-pp3006

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi...an-p-3573.aspx
    Last edited by SA1941; 08-30-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Ron Kob
      Ron Kob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a bunch, that was the answer that I was looking for. I was tempted to use standard 30:06 ammo but I was afraid it would cause some problems so thanks to you I won’t. Both of those links that you sent me are out of stock (like everything else) and I got on the notification list and I won’t shoot the Garand until I get Garand specific ammo. I appreciate your advice and I will follow it. Thanks Ron Kob

Here are 2 places that still have stock.

https://www.308ammo.com/HXP3006BANDO-p/hxp3006bando.htm

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006CS150-200

Comment

• Ron Kob
      Ron Kob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for responding to my Garand ammo search. The Bandolier site is out of stock. CMP has Garand ammo at a decent price but they won’t sell it to me because I’m not a member and I don’t want to join the CMP just to buy Garand ammo. Maybe I missed something but is there a way to get the CMP to sell me some Garand ammo without joining the CMP? Thanks. Ron Kob

Glad to be of assistance. Thanks Jak for posting links to where it is still available. I realized that when I made my post, just wanted to give Ron an example of the brand and type to look for. I should have made that clear. Welcome aboard Ron and I hope you enjoy your rifle as frequently as possible!

Comment

Ron, try asking member xjda68, he has some M2 ammo listed but he may be able to get some more or know where there is some to point you in the right direction. On another forum I am on last night there was a sealed can of ammo, if it's still there I will provide a link. SGammo WAS good to go, they were my go to supplier, then they screwed us CA members by turning their back on us because they wouldn't ship there anymore, I have less than family friendly words for that. All they had to do was ship to an FFL and that's it. It's despicable in my opinion.
      m14brian

Comment

• SA1941
        SA1941 commented
        Editing a comment
        Your welcome to migrate to America (my neck of the woods) anytime you want! I hate to see such a nice state like CA taken over.

Californicatia was taken over 59 years ago. It ain't new news.
      Welcome to the addiction.
      Jon

Comment

I've noticed that loaded ammo, and now even reloading components are being cleaned out from retail through distributors right up to the manufacturers.
        You might want to consider buying empty cases and components and loading up your ammo.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
          I've noticed that loaded ammo, and now even reloading components are being cleaned out from retail through distributors right up to the manufacturers.
          You might want to consider buying empty cases and components and loading up your ammo.
          I'm seeing the same thing H4895 can be hard to find as are the 150 grain FMJ projectiles.

Comment

If 150 gr bullets are not available, the M1 can handle anything from 125-174 gr bullets. The 125's shoot softer and are good accuracy wise to 200 yds. Just sayin.....
            Jon

Comment

Any of the most common bullet weights, powders, and primers are going to be hard to find or out of stock for a while, they are the first to go.
              m14brian

Comment

If you choose to reload, stay away from the slower powders. Generally 150 grain jacketed bullets driven around 2700 fps with a "medium" rifle propellant in the range of IMR4895 will work well. The idea is to put gas port pressure and dwell time (between the bullet passing gas port and leaving the muzzle) within the limits for reliable function without over-driving the action.
                The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Here's some more for sale by another member of the forum.
                  m14brian

https://www.m1garandforum.com/forums...ammo#post25536

Comment

Their is a ammo seller in South Carolina, he is recovering from shoulder surgery, but sells bandoliers 48 round with clips, you must file proof and sign a hold harmless agreement, proof,is a photo ID CCL or DL, he is processing orders on a limited basis. Keeps your Identity on file for two years, Garand Ammo is good stuff, I bought 2 Greek sardine cans at a gun show in Fort Worth. Bandolears had 4 in a can. Ammo looked clean 150 gr, M-2. I think that stuff is loaded in USA and lend lease to Greece, Is that correct? I’ve herd several stories, one Issue I had was a delay fire, maybe up to five seconds, ejected the casing, and it functioned fine, the Garand that is, just I think the primers, thought maybe my firing pin was bad, has any guys on this forum had that issue? If you have a hang fire on a 1903 SF you can recock and fire again. How do you handle a hang fire on a Garand?

Comment

30-06 M1 Garand Ammo M2 Ball AP API M25 M72 (ammogarand.com)

Here's another good place for M2 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X