US Rifle
    Cal 30 ML
    Springfield

Also Stamped
    D28287-12SA
    S-06 (Looks like a Diamond Mark)

Found another number on Barrel 1-S-A-8-43

Comment

M1 Garand manufactured 1943 according to ser number. Appears to be orginal barrel also from Aug 1943. D number is a drawing number, S-06 ??????? Rifle and barrel both are Springfield Armory.
      Others are better informed than I am and will soon respond.

Comment

I would suggest posting pics of the rifle with closeups of any markings. Also, the known history of the rifle such as how long it’s been in possession of the person you inherited it from and where they obtained it.

Comment

Do I ruin it by having it refurbished? See below. It will be passed on to sons and not an active shooter.

Comment

I personally leave my rifles as obtained. Your rifle appears to have an original barrel and matching receiver. It’s possible that it has more correct parts which would increase its value.

There are some extremely knowledgeable experts on this forum and if you post pics with some details, they will guide you as to what you have, it’s value, and answer your questions.

Comment

D28287 is the drawing, or part number. -12 is the part revision number (by '45 you'll find -35). SA Springfield Armory. S-06 <> denotes material lot and supplier.
              Yes, chances are HIGH that you'll ruin it by refinishing it. Pics (LOTS) will help.
              Jon
              TJT
              Gunnery Sergeant
              Last edited by TJT; 08-17-2020, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Smoke View Post
                Do I ruin it by having it refurbished? See below. It will be passed on to sons and not an active shooter.
                I would do nothing until you get some feedback from people here. If you know how to disassemble it without damage do so and get pictures of everything. That will help those here to help you.

Comment

Working...
                X