Ordinance Gage Markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordinance Gage Markings

Question for the experts, I have several Ordinance gages some of which are marked for the M1, others for M1 M1C and still others for the M1 M1C M1D. Do the different markings denote a general time frame when the gage was issued?

While not specific some gauges may have been marked just for the M1 and without knowing which drawing numbers are on the gage or tool it is hard to determine if the gage is early or late. Any gage referencing the M1C or D would be very late WWII or post war. Most likely post war. The M1C and D were not added to the SNL until Jan and Feb 1945 so I would expect to see gages marked sometime after that. Since there is no real difference in the gages unless a significant revision was made or a tool like the lock tightener wrench that was modified for the high hump, I expect that there were plenty of tools/gages in the inventory until the late 40's (rebuild timeframe) or the onset of the Korean war. I have several gages too and I am always interested to see unusual items, etc. Probably not a definitive answer but hopefully it helps somewhat.

Comment

Definitely helps as it confirms my understanding that anything with M1C or M1D would be post war. I was just thinking that without those two referenced it would be earlier but it makes sense that they might just denote the M1 on gages if no other changes were made to the specs. I've attached a photo of three ring gages that I have. I believe they are in order of age from left to right but I'm pretty much guessing with my limited knowledge.

Comment

Here is another "donut" gage for small arms but not for the M1 rifle Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010032_0031.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	25000

Comment

What weapon uses the "donut" gage pictured above ? M60 m/g, M14 rifle, M1918A2 or T48 rifle ?

My photo shows some WW2 gages for the M1 rifle Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010033_0032.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	25002

Comment

The other "donut" is for the Model 1918A2 BAR

I never use my headspace gages in the above photo to check rifles as these are WW2 and need to be calibrated. Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010014_0015.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	25008

Comment

Bar, the 43, 44, and 49 gages are hard to find. I have multiples of the standard gages.

Comment

Finding a headspace gage still with the original gage card is not common. Gages were required to be sent in to arsenals
                once a year and be re-calibrated or checked and noted on the gage card

photos show 5,56mm gage (has teat like M1 carbine gages) and paper work Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010027.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	25035Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010028.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	25036

Comment

Yes they are tough to find....
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00285.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	25039Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08903.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	25040Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00599.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	25041

Comment

Nice! I especially like the value of the gas cylinder gage.

Comment

A few years ago, I was building some 22 rim fire conversions from center fire rifles and made some of my own 22 rim fire gages from drill rod.

The gage in my photo is .0465 plus a photo of a rim fire converted Model 1903 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004_0004.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	25077Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010017_0014.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	25078

Comment

Nice 03 Springfield. I’ve always liked the conversations. I saw one in the UP a couple of years ago and because it wasn’t a kit gun as seen in Brophy I hesitated. When I changed my mind the rifle had been sold.

Comment

From the information available, I believe A.O. Niedner made the first Model 1903 rifle conversion to 22 rim fire before he moved to Dowagia, Mich in 1920. He converted the original bolt to rim fire and made a extractor housing on top of the bolt (rifle is worth 6K) will attempt to post photo or else I will send it to you.

I can't down load the photo so I will send it to you by email

Comment

Working...
                          X