Just bought from the CMP... How'd I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought from the CMP... How'd I do?

All, I just bought from the CMP this past Saturday in Anniston, Alabama, as I figured I should have that experience before I leave the South (probably never to return). I want to know what you guys think of the rifles my buddy and I picked, and also if I was dumb and should have bought another rifle they had. Anything you guys can tell me would be great. I'm not super knowledgeable on M1s, but I think making these correct seems easier than building a correct Colt/Armalite Model 01 (my bread and butter) due to the fact that all of these components have the "Drawing Numbers" with amendments or whatever you would call them. I would like to know what I need to make them correct. Is it really as simple as finding the drawing number with the proper amendment for the month of production for the receiver, or is it more complicated (i.e. receivers being made some months before other components)? Would all of the components have been from the same manufacturer as well?

A little background, I already own a 6 digit (1942 receiver) M1 with 1943 barrel. I forget the month of production on that rifle, but here we go.

The first rifle I got was yet ANOTHER 6 digit (OCT 1942) with 1943 barrel. They lost the tag in the store, which I noticed when I got home but I believe the readings were 1+ for the muzzle and 2 for the barrel, or the inverse of that.

Here is the rifle (took most of these pictures when the power went out):

For the above rifle, if the assumption is that everything should be the same as the receiver, then I believe I need:

-Bolt D28287-12SA (on the rifle already)

-Hammer C46008-3 SA (on the rifle already)

-Trigger Housing D28290-7-SA or -8-SA (mine has W.R.A., so incorrect?)

-Uncut Op Rod D35382 3 SA, or 6 SA

-Follower Assembly marked 11

-Rear Sight Short Pinion with Rounded Lock Bar

The next rifle I bought was a 4,5XX,XXX serial International Harvester that dates to 1953 I believe. Everything I have seen only gives years, but not Month and Year. This is a little cool to me because my grandfather fought in Korea, though he didn't carry an M1 Rifle (he had a carbine) and the armistice may have been signed before this rifle was producted.

Here is the rifle, with CMP stock:

Are the SA parts incorrect for this rifle?

My buddy didn't have quite the same money to spend, but he bought himself one of those refinished rifles with new criterion barrel. I believe it is a 5 digit SA, unless one of the numbers disappeared during refinishing... Looks like 94,XXX

Here is that rifle:

Finally, here was the situation inside the CMP:

I was left with the decision of buying the below rifle or leaving with the two rifles above that I bought. I elected to buy the two rifles.

Would you have left with this IHC Gap Letter gun for $2000 or did I make the right choice?

Nice rifles, I like IHCs but I would want one in better condition/higher grade for myself, out of the choices I think you did good by going with the 2 rifles you got, but someone else's opinion might vary.
    m14brian

Comment

It is awesome to see those long racks of nothing but M1s!
      m14brian

Comment

Nice rifles, for sure. Just an fyi--ALL parts are NOT marked. It takes YEARS of study to learn all the nuances and minutia of the various parts to know who made the unmarked parts, not an evening or 2 on the 'net.
        Welcome to the addiction. As for the "tractor rifle" (IHC), SA did supply IHC with some parts very early in their production to get them up and running. Just EXACTLY which parts is open for debate. Yours is late enough it should be all IHC parts. I would've picked up the gap letter tractor rifle. THOSE receivers were provided by SA and although not exactly rare, they're not too commonly encountered.
        Don't stress about making them "correct", at least not until you've studied them for a while and KNOW FOR SURE what's what. Many rifles have been "corrected" only to find out they should've been left alone.
        Shoot 'em and enjoy them for what they are.
        Have fun and welcome aboard.
        Jon
        IHC's and HRA's were late to the game and VERY few, if any, actually saw combat in Korea.
        Last edited by TJT; 07-29-2020, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your guys’ replies. I guess ultimately, I see myself shelling out the money for a “Correct” rifle with papers then... My true addiction lies with early and Vietnam Era AR-15s (1957-1970ish). I have way too many of those lol.

I figured I should “experience” the CMP once as a gun guy. And I suppose I may try to “correct” my 1942 guns as much as possible within the constraints of my knowledge and budget. Do the “corrections” I have listed below the pictures of that rifle sound correct or is there more to it than that? Ie barrels small parts being a year or months older than the receiver or vice versa. And does the ‘43 barrel mean that whatever barrel was on the rifle was likely shot out and thus a replacement was made, or is it possible a ‘43 barrel would have been found on an OCT ‘42 gun? Again, I’m an AR guy so go easy on me lol.

Comment

You did very good with your purchases. Nice rifles.
            The drawing numbers and revision numbers on M1 Garand parts refer to the blueprints for that particular part. The blueprint is revised each time a manufacturing change is made to the part. The M1 Garand was revised though out the war. Some revisions were made to improve reliability, while others were to speed up production of the part or for cost reduction of the part. Note not all M1 Garands parts have drawing or revision numbers . The bolt, barrel and receiver will have addition numbers and letters that ref to the steel used to make that part.
            As far as I know Colt, H&R and HYDRO-MATIC DIV. did not stamp drawing or revision numbers on M16s or M16A1s parts they produced.
            Last edited by RDS; 07-29-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
              As far as I know Colt, H&R and HYDRO-MATIC DIV. did not stamp drawing or revision numbers on M16s or M16A1s parts they produced.
              Thank you! And that is correct, they did not do anything similar in the AR world. You just have to know the differences. There are no drawing numbers.

Comment

ASD,
                Remember 2 VERY important things:
                1) There's a HUGE difference between a "correct" v. "Original" rifle, and
                2) A rifle is ONLY original ONCE--that is the day it leaves the armory. You may be able to make your rifles "correct" given time and finances, but they'll NEVER be "original" again.
                Jon

Comment

Just fyi (and others):
                  The small crossed cannon stamp on the bottom of the pistol grip is an acceptance stamp signifying acceptance by ordnance of a stock NOT made at SA. Most people don't know this little tid-bit. Notice that not every SA stock bears this stamp.
                  Jon

Comment

• gmcassidy
                    gmcassidy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My understanding is that all stocks from the Springfield Stock Shop, starting late in the EMcF era and continuing through the GAW and NFR range have the small crossed cannon stamp. Essentially an ordnance acceptance mark for stocks from the Stock Shop. Every NFR and GAW I own and have ever seen has this....unless sanded during rebuild , etc.

Apparently there's some more home work to do. We need to work on this and get the correct answer. I love a challenge.
                  Jon

Comment

gmcassidy,
                    I got corrected by Rick Borecky (THE stock expert) today on a different site. You, Sir, are correct. Rick said the location of the stamp (where was its location before?) was changed during the EMcF reign. No stocks were made by outside vendors, SA made ALL of its own stocks.
                    I stand corrected and am baking a crow in the oven as we speak--lol.
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post
                      ...I stand corrected and am baking a crow in the oven as we speak--lol.
                      Jon
                      With my extensive crow-eating experience, I've learned that it goes down easier ficasseed.

Comment

Good choices and good pics. Lucky you getting to visit the store. Nice to see the selection available there.

Comment

Working...
                        X