Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ Brink
    replied
    hey .Corporal: No I live in North Texas out in the country, I fire at a country range off I-20 have a club house, really nice clean facility, I usually fire on the 100yd range, the club house has Ammo for sale and a cleaning area, it’s expensive, closed until February they do needed repairs, and improvements. Thank you for the offer, HNY AJ.

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    Originally posted by AJ Brink View Post
    Hi lapriester: thank you for the reply. After much thought I’ve decided not to go that route. Several reasons for that decision, my age was one of them, and my Gal had many concerns, not to bore you with The details, several Troopers I am acquainted with stepped up,and really solved my ammo issue. To them I am grateful. HNY AJ
    If you happened to be located in northern California I could easily solve your Garand ammo supply problem. But, what I have would be far too costly to even think of shipping it anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• AJ Brink
    replied
    Hi lapriester: thank you for the reply. After much thought I’ve decided not to go that route. Several reasons for that decision, my age was one of them, and my Gal had many concerns, not to bore you with The details, several Troopers I am acquainted with stepped up,and really solved my ammo issue. To them I am grateful. HNY AJ

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    commented on 's reply
    Most all large rifle primers or magnum large rifle primers will do fine if you can find them. Even the cheapest Lee single stage bench press setup will load just fine. The expensive stuff is generally progressive snd only an advantage if you are high volume loading. Progressives actually present many issues that can result in less accurate ammo especially using the powders corresponding to Garand reloading.

• AJ Brink
    replied
    Well reloading is and possibly the way of our future, I have been looking at different loading Riggs and it ranges from $600.00 to over $2,000.00 for some of the finer equipment. Some casings are not reloadable, but the 150gr bullets and preferred powder is.The primer caps are the issue, I have found everything but that, my question is are most caps universal for all cal. Or do need to buy 30/06 primer caps for our application. AJ

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    I normally use raw linseed oil for the reason it does dry slowly. When applied a couple times a day for weeks, it soaks deep into the wood and stabilizes it against changes in weather, temperature and humidity. I did that with my "match" Garand and it held zero throughout the year.

Leave a comment:

• AJ Brink
    replied
    I do like a nice finish on a stock. I use TruOil it drys in 24 hours, but I let it set for 48 maybe longer. I use scotch Brite medium to smooth, wetting the stock, and using an Iron thru a rag will take out scratches,and some dents.I know that’s not how they came out of the factory, very dark walnut, fornby has a formula for wood that removes the darkness, you have to be careful, some strippers are not good on wood, especially stocks. I’ve used napfa, dry cleaning solvent. Kinda got the horse before the cart, I do all the prep work before I use the tru oil. I’ve been told if your stock has been bed Ed never apply Any thing in that area. I am an old flight crew member, if that means anything. As I’ve gotten older in my 70s now, seems my skin mostly my hands I think contain acid, so when ever I handle my firearms I wear gloves, when I clean plastic disposable and nomex gloves when I go to the range. Thank you for all the posting, really enjoy reading have a great holiday, Salute. AJ
    Last edited by AJ Brink; 12-07-2020, 07:55 AM. Reason: Recalled an issue

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Reloading requires a few hundred dollars in "capital equipment" to get started. In the end it saves a huge amount of money in cost per shot. It's not particularly difficult, but does require attention to detail. There's a whole section on reloading in this forum.

Leave a comment:

• GColloton
    replied
    I hadn’t considered that to be honest. Is it costly to set up or difficult to do? Would I be able to load other ammo as well?
    I guess I never thought about it because I assumed it would cost a fortune to set up and might be above my pay grade to do.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Glad it all worked out on the stock then. Have you considered reloading the fired cases? Components, while also affected by the recent buying spree, are still available.

Leave a comment:

• GColloton
    replied
    I shot a few boxes of ammo last weekend on a pretty hot day here in NY and didn’t have any issues with grip, even with sweaty hands. In person the finish is almost identical to my Savage Enfield that has its original finish. My son and I ended up shooting all my Garand factory ammo and now I’m having trouble finding more online and at my local shops.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Other than being more easily seen by reflecting sunlight etc., the main issue I have with shiny stocks might be a slick surface that's harder to hold onto.

Leave a comment:

• MRusan
    replied
    Looks pretty slick if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• GColloton
    replied
    Thanks very much!

Leave a comment:

• m14brian
    replied
    That came out really nice!