Help on Front Handguard Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on Front Handguard Identification

As a novice collector, I am inquiring as to whether or not there are any distinguishing features between a WWII produced front handguard and one produced during the post-war era?
    I have read statements that one has sharper edges along each bottom length, and that the other has rounded edges. I have also read that one will have crimp marks on both sides of the ferrule, and that the other will not. In both instances, I have read statements that one equates to wartime production and the other to post-war production, and then I have read statements to exact opposite??? To help give context to my question, I have included two photos of a pair of handguards; one handguard with sharp edges along the bottom lines, having a crimped ferrule, and the other handguard (marked "SA For Comparison") having rounded edges to the wood base lines with no metal crimp marks on the ferrule. I realize that a definitive answer may be next to impossible, but would appreciate any thoughts from the expert community. Thank you.

Handguard cap with dash/dimple is SA, atleast the cap is

Comment

Thank you so much sir. Do you know if the dash/dimple is a post-war or a wartime measure, or both?
      Thanks again for having taken the time to respond initially.

Comment

Working...
      X