HELP. Identification of 1954 Experimental? Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP. Identification of 1954 Experimental? Garand

Hello all. I just picked up this beauty. Shes 1954 made, and from what I can tell, all original(matching). My concerns/questions are with regard to the stock. The stock has the DOD eagle cartouche but has AA and a number(Augusta Arsenal?) Also the previous owner told me this is a rare experimental version in which Springfield tried some bedding on the reinforcement cutouts. I've attached photos I'd appreciate any help/theories that may make identifying this baby easier. Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeR(1).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	24281Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4801.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	24282Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4802.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	24283Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeR.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	699.3 KB
ID:	24284Click image for larger version

Name:	614224933.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	24285
    Attached Files
    Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Please remove the stock and post photos of the top of stock at the receiver cut out. Looks like bedding for national match stock. Nice rifle!

Comment

• MCHammah96
      MCHammah96 commented
      Editing a comment
      RDS,

I appreciate the kind words. I will post those stock pictures as soon as I can. Any ideas about the AA rebuild cartouche ?

Experimental? Nooooo. Nice rifle regardless

Comment

I was told that in late 1953 and early 1954, Springfield "experimented" with that material at the reinforcement cutouts. Can anyone kindly confirm or deny this? More pictures to come.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_204759.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	24301 As promised, here is the stock. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_204642.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	24299Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_204550.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	24300

Comment

The bedding appears to be nothing more than a overhaul bedding method to increase lock up in a stock that had worn compressed wood.Its very common

Comment

Not a NM stock. I agree with above comments by Orlando.

Comment

Kinda looking out here, I don’t understand the statement (Experimental) something to do with bedding of the stock and how close it is to the Barrel? I have a BDL 700 early production in the 60s it’s for hunting, it had that issue with going off, discharging, very dangerous, Remington repaired it even tho I was not the original owner, bought it at a pawn shop. I used a local gunsmith to correct the issue, he also convinced me to bed my stock. I am not very knowledgeable about that subject, but he also fixed my Dads 1903 Sporter. Their might be a difference, but I could not tell, when I took it to the range.

Comment

Working...
              X