Appraisal / Valuation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appraisal / Valuation?

Hello, I have an M1 Garand that I am considering selling. I don't know where to start to get a good idea of what I should be looking to get. I an uploading a few pictures. The serial number on the receiver is quite low from what I understand. I understand some can be quite valuable for instance if they are "original" or however it is characterized returning from WWII. I appreciate any advice on how to valuate this beautiful piece of history.

Thanks
    Last edited by CJD; 06-12-2020, 09:09 PM.

Very hard to give a accurate estimate with such limited pictures and information. Yes if rifle was original it could be valuable, unfortunately from the very limited pictures I can tell it has later Post War style rear sights so the rifle is not in original condition,
    Pull back op rod and what is stamped on side of barrel?
    If its a common Mixmaster as I suspect and if barrel is in good condition depending on parts its a $800-$900 rifle.

Comment

Thank you Orlando, yes I was doing some research last night and learned that about the rear sight as well. The barrel behind the op rod says S-A-8-51. The trigger housing says C-46025-1-SA. The bolt says D28287-12SA heat lot RE5B. One of these days I plan to have a local gun shop walk me through a field strip and can get the other numbers. I had a gunsmith strip & clean 2 years ago and he said it was safe to fire but I have never fired it. I recently noticed the safety mechanism will not engage. I have a plastic/rubber chamber plug to practice dry-fire and the trigger and the hammer/pin seem to fall correctly.

Comment

You don't need a plug to dry fire the Garand.
        You do know safety will only engage if the hammer is cocked?

Comment

Yes, I know the Garand can be safely dry-fired but I bought the plug anyway. IT was advertised as only having to cycle the op rod handle back 1/4 inch, you can hear the hammer cocking, and that seems to be the case. At least I think the hammer is cocking, I can hear a good click when I pull the op rod handle back about 1/4 inch when using the plug. Then when I pull the trigger another click is audible and the bolt moves slightly forward. So those basics appear to be operating (hammer cocking and dropping). But I still cannot engage the safety. I will have to have a gunsmith look at it.

Thank you.

Comment

Give it a try one time, remove rubber plug, pull op rod all the way back , then see if safety will set
            Last edited by Orlando; 06-13-2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I tried this, and it is still the same. I uploaded a couple of pictures, one with the op rod pulled all the way back and locked, then one with me trying to set the safety - it doesn't go very far.

Thanks

Comment

You are almost there. You need to hold the op rod handle back with one hand, depress the follow with the other, then let the op rod go forward and close the bolt. Now try the safety

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I did that and still get the exact same result as depicted above. The safety will not engage. It would appear I have a mechanical issue, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Are you able to remove the trigger group from the rifle? If so I want you to check something. Hammer spring housing may be assembled incorrectly keeping the safety from engaging

Comment

Well I have always wanted to do that, so now I have. Pictures uploaded. Thanks.
                      Last edited by CJD; 06-14-2020, 08:22 PM. Reason: Added second view of trigger group

Comment

After looking at the picture I see the problem. You have a early trigger housing with a large pad and a later round safety. The safety is binding on the large pad.
                        You have two choices, either get a trigger housing with small pad or get a flat top safety

Last edited by Orlando; 06-14-2020, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much. Sounds like it's more of a Mixmaster than I would have guessed; even the trigger group has mismatched components.

Comment

I think you need a new gunsmith, he should have caught that the safety didn't engage

Comment

I couldn't agree more. Thanks very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X