Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here, both to the Forum and to M1's, too.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here, both to the Forum and to M1's, too.

I recently received my CMP Service Grade M1, with new CMP stock, and thought I would do a field strip, just to familiarize myself with the process. After all, reading about it only goes so far. I immediately had difficulty with opening the trigger guard. I did a search of this forum and found this recent post https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...uard#post23993 with a response by Orlando (moderator). The included photo was very effective in reinforcing his advice! Although the post was about closing the trigger guard, somehow I had a feeling the advice for opening would be the same.

I tried again, this time putting considerably more "Oomph!" into the effort. The trigger guard opened and the assembly came out, just as advertised. When it was time to re-assemble, I ran into the same stubbornness described in the above-mentioned post. Again, simply adding a good bit of extra "Oomph!" did the trick.

So, thanks, all, for the help you have already provided. I look forward to learning more about this wonderful piece of American history, and the M1 Garand Forum looks like a great resource!

Welcome in and congrats on getting your M1!
    m14brian

Comment

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        Yep...they can be a little stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by richard_02-'45 View Post
          I recently received my CMP Service Grade M1, with new CMP stock, and thought I would do a field strip, just to familiarize myself with the process. After all, reading about it only goes so far. I immediately had difficulty with opening the trigger guard. I did a search of this forum and found this recent post https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...uard#post23993 with a response by Orlando (moderator). The included photo was very effective in reinforcing his advice! Although the post was about closing the trigger guard, somehow I had a feeling the advice for opening would be the same.

I tried again, this time putting considerably more "Oomph!" into the effort. The trigger guard opened and the assembly came out, just as advertised. When it was time to re-assemble, I ran into the same stubbornness described in the above-mentioned post. Again, simply adding a good bit of extra "Oomph!" did the trick.

So, thanks, all, for the help you have already provided. I look forward to learning more about this wonderful piece of American history, and the M1 Garand Forum looks like a great resource!
          Welcome! A snug trigger guard is better than a loose one. Enjoy the rifle.

Comment

I’ve herd several opinions on trigger guards, my preference is the milled trigger guard. Ok I Know, it has issues, but using that tool to remove it. I personally like. I also like the look of it on the Garand. To me it’s more Eye appealing. The stamped one looks tinney, easier to release, pulling back and up works better on the stamped guard.

Comment

Working...
            X