Ferro barrel i.d.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferro barrel i.d.

I have a Ferro barrel, I believe. Between the gas rings is some stamping I cant make out. Anyone have any info?

Your barrel was manufactured by Ferro Machine & Foundry in Ohio, Ferro replacement parts were shipped to Europe and used in rebuilds. Some of their parts
    got into the US supply or rifles and found there way back. I have also seen a Model 1918A2 BAR barrel dated 5-56 with circle F. You can find M1 carbine parts
    that were also manufactured by Ferro, don't have a list but know they made muzzle brakes, butt plates for the M1A1 and other parts.

The other marking on the front of your barrel is the import stamp, your rifle came from another country where it had the ferro barrel installed

Comment

• Paulbroeder
      Paulbroeder commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you aware of any process I could use to make the import stamps readable?

Good deal. I was curious about the time period. All the parts in the rifle begin with a D and all have the dashes between. I bought this rifle from an elderly man about 10 or 12 years ago. He told me that his brother was career military. Fought in WWII and Korea and that this rifle was his service weapon. Said he shipped it home just before he retired. Said his brother had recently passed away. He wasnt selling the rifle. It just came up in conversation and he wouldn't even look at it. I told him I would take it and take care of it. I ended up giving him 300.00 for it. He welled up with tears when I came out of his house with it and he turned his back. I have always wondered about the authenticity. I hear so many stories when people are trying to sell a product passing it off as something it isn't. Wish that old m1 could play a video of its life. It was so clean inside, I was amazed. Put it back together and it is an absolute machine. Spot on, round after round at 100yds.
    Thanks for the info.

Comment

It is not common to find a Ferro marked barrel for the M1 as these were used in other countries for rebuilds, a larger, better photo of the import stamp might be
      possible to I.D. the importer. Keep in mind without any paper work documenting the rifle it is difficult to verify the story

Comment

I have M1 Carbine flash hiders marked circle F. I have also handled 1919 BMG parts marked with circle F.

Comment

The Stamps toward the muzzle are impossible for me to make out. I saw a process years ago on how to bring them out, but, I cant find that info. Here is the stamping close to the receiver. Also there are numbers stamped in the underside of the barrel

Comment

The receiver also has some extra stamping.
            figured it was from a rebuild.

Comment

your receiver is from late 1941 the REP is the steel used and the drawing number has the 14 th revision

Comment

All the parts I looked up also date to 1941. At any rate, it had to have been refurbished. The stock stamps arent present and with my reading glasses on, I can see where it may have been sandpaper Mark's on the grip. Here it is put back together. I have taken quite a few old military weapons down and have never found a weapons internal components so clean, dry and corrosion free. Almost no wear Mark's of any kind. Whoever the owner was took exceptional care. Hopefully, I'll get time to do some shooting. I'll be moving on to my Norinco m14 next to give it a going over.

Comment

Slowly but surely, now that I've been not working for three months, I'll finally get to go through some of my military collection

Comment

I would give some consideration to restoring your Lee Enfield Mark 111, barrel appear original length, just a front and rear hand guard and fore-end plus the band and nose cap

Comment

I guess you are talking about the sporterised Enfield?

Comment

Working...
                      X