1917 leather Sling ID help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1917 leather Sling ID help please

I mentioned to my buddy that I’m looking for a leather sling for my M1 Garand and he found one that looked good, but I’m having trouble ID’ing it. It’s stamped:

CS
    G.D.T (or G.O.T)

It’s probably a reproduction, so I’m just curious if anyone has seen these markings (CS 1917 by itself appear to be common) before and could fill me in on the quality. I’d rather not say what area he found it for sale in, since I might wanna buy it. Lol.

Thanks.

http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/us_m1907_sling.htm

This site only shows "CS 1917" too. It may be the lighting but I don't like the rivets in the hooks.
    Last edited by jak; 04-25-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I agree--the rivets and holes look a little queer but I've seen more than a couple that are known originals and they look like yours. Maybe they weren't set properly when assembled or it was subjected to some hard use, or both. Afterall, it is over a century old.
      Jon

Comment

I’m going to get it I think. I’ll post pictures in a few days. Thank you for the replies.

Comment

If anyone knows if this is an original or has seen these markings before or can provide an approximate year, please let me know.

The sling was delivered today. The leather is very dry, but it smells like leather not pungent or bad. There’s tarnish on the brass and one of the hooks was stuck in the leather. It says CS GOT 1917. I cleaned the tarnish and lightly cleaned the old leather after I took these photos. I took more pictures of the hooks and rivets too. I’m going to let this dry and then apply leather honey treatment to it, to bring it back to life. I’ll post pictures after. Thanks for looking.

Comment

The leather was really dry. I cleaned up the verdigris from the brass parts and off the leather where the leather and brass were touching. I let that dry and used “Leather Honey” conditioner over the last 24 hours. It drank that up. It’s probably a reproduction based on the rivets, but I like it and will probably use it when I get my M1 Garand in a couple weeks.

Comment

Wow...night and day after treatment!
              Even if it's a reproduction, an M1907 sling is pretty awesome.
              There's a page in the field manual to rig it right, and once you have that set, you want to use one all the time.
              I'll have to remember that product.

Comment

Looks really good!

m14brian

Comment

Methinks it's a repop. The rivet heads on ALL originals that I have ever encountered are flush with the frogs, not "proud" like yours are.
                  Jon

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been learning it’s a repop based off the rivets, and from what I understand now, the rings indented around them. I guess they’re caused by modern machinery. I probably over did it on the “leather honey” conditioner. They say a little goes a long way and I used a lot on purpose. The sling felt a little tacky and that product has never made anything else feel that way. I ended up placing the leather flat between two long boards with paper towels between the leather and the wood and then clamping it tight for a week. I even changed the paper towels, reclamped, and put it on my dashboard all last weekend so any extra conditioner would bleed out (like the cosmoline in a surplus gun stock trick - I just cleaned up a Mosin Nagant a couple weeks ago, lol). The boards on each side kept the pressure even from the spring clamps and they came out looking straight and new. The leather color stayed dark which I really like I think.

Comment

I’m still waiting for my M1 Garand paperwork to be processed and I have no idea what year I’ll get. If it’s WWII era I might find an authentic one, but I honestly really like this sling, so more than likely I’ll use it. Besides my seventeen year old son, none of my friends or my brothers would know the difference anyway, Ha. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X