• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chunderb0x
    Private
    • Mar 2020

Front Handguard Endcap Issue

Hello All,

I recently received a new M1 stock set from Dupage Trading and the front handguard end cap hole is too small to fit around the barrel. I used the end cap from the original handguard to resolve the issue but was wondering if I have a non-standard barrel on my M1.

The barrel stamp is SA 7791035 65 BU24. ​​​​​​​Just wondering if this is somewhat normal or if there is another reason for the fitment issue. I have contacted Dupage as well regarding the issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• jak
    Master Sergeant
    • Nov 2015

There is nothing wrong with the barrel. You proved that by swapping out the metal from the other hand guard. Also you have a National Match barrel.
    Looking for 16" SA bayonet Mfg 1918, S/N 1045220

Comment

• chunderb0x
      Private
      • Mar 2020

Awesome, thanks for the info jak!

Comment

• chunderb0x
        Private
        • Mar 2020

Here is the response I received from Dupage.

Good morning,

Thank you for the feedback. Our latest batch of front handguard ferrules are tight. The hole for the barrel is slightly under spec (undersized by about 10 thousands of an inch), which makes it nearly identical to the outside diameter of the barrel. They will still fit on both a GI barrel and the Criterion barrels, although I admit it is a tight fit the first time it is assembled to the rifle. You can either twist it on using a little pressure toward the receiver of the rifle or gently use a rubber mallet to get it into place. I assembled a rifle yesterday and used the mallet, which resulted in a nice tight fit. Recommend you give it another try and let me know if that works for you.

I was under the impression you do not want a super-tight fit to the barrel in regards to the front handguard. It seems like having to "hammer" it on would be less than ideal.

Comment

• jak
          Master Sergeant
          • Nov 2015

Thank you for the update.
          Looking for 16" SA bayonet Mfg 1918, S/N 1045220

Comment

• RDS
            Captain
            • May 2016

Sounds like another off shore produced part. The conversion from inch to metric left something to be desired. What's that old saying "close enough for government work".

Comment

Working...
            X