Please Help : Unable to close trigger guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help : Unable to close trigger guard

First time poster here - sorry for the newbie question and forgive me if this issue has been discussed elsewhere...

I have a service grade 1944 Springfield M1 Garand that I have completely broken down, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled - everything went back together perfectly except for the very last step: I am unable to close the trigger guard to lock the trigger group and upper into the stock.

Note:

01.) The upper fits in to the stock smoothly with no impingement
    02.) The trigger group slides easily into position with the upper and the stock
    03.) The lugs on the trigger guard mate with the grooves on the upper
    04.) The magazine plate is flush with the wood
    05.) However, I can only move the trigger guard about an inch toward the locking position before I encounter resistance
    06.) If I take the upper out of the stock and mate the trigger group to the upper, the trigger guard closes with a simple snap
    07.) If I take the upper out of the stock and insert only the trigger group, again, I can easily close the trigger guard

When I dissembled the rifle it came apart with ease - even when using more force than I'm comfortable with, I'm nowhere close to being able to close the guard.

Any help is appreciated - thank you!

- Brian from Rhode Island

You can only move it an inch from the open position or move it an inch from the locked position? If the latter, turn it over in your lap, tg up, and smack it sharply with the heel of your hand or a rubber hammer. A tight lockup is much desired.
    Jon

Comment

• williams13
      williams13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, TJT - I can only move it about an inch from the open position. Everything seats perfectly - I'm confounded as to why it won't close and latch smoothly.

Is it new cmp wood?
    Jon

Comment

• williams13
      williams13 commented
      Editing a comment
      No, sir - it's old wood and came fitted just fine.

There's a unique feature on the M1 rifle. The hammer can be cocked by working the trigger guard like a lever action. There's a small pin on the guard that acts on the front of the hammer like a lever gun. Unhook the rear of the guard and swing it down and forward. This is so that when the trigger is pulled, if the rifle goes "click", instead of "boom", it can be recocked without having to cycle the action in case there's a hang fire, the cartridge will still be fully supported in the chamber, thus avoiding an out-of-battery detonation, and possible injury to the shooter or rifle.
    Knowing that, check your trigger group to see if some thing is keeping the hammer from free movement. Check the hammer and trigger pins, especially the trigger pin. They do break on occasion.
    Hope this helps some.
    Keep us posted on the out come.
    Good luck, my friend.
    Jon
    Last edited by TJT; 03-29-2020, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Hello! Just wondering if you ever got your Garand closed up tight?
      GregT

Comment

I'm having the same issue, trigger guard will close most of the way (about 1/2 in from closing) but then meets too much resistance to fully close and lock. Mine is new production CMP stock, wondering if it may be too tightly fit. Thoughts? Don't want to break it before I get it to the range.

Comment

Originally posted by onefatdad View Post
          I'm having the same issue, trigger guard will close most of the way (about 1/2 in from closing) but then meets too much resistance to fully close and lock. Mine is new production CMP stock, wondering if it may be too tightly fit. Thoughts? Don't want to break it before I get it to the range.
          This is a very common question with people not accustom to a properly fitting stock. This happens mostly with new commercial stocks not USGI as they are worn and have weak lock up. Having a stock with tight lock up is a good thing.
          Run the rear sight aperture all the way down
          Turn the rifle over on a carpet floor or on a padded table.
          Man up and lean hard on it or use a rubber mallet and wack it closed
          It was closed once, it will close again

Comment

• onefatdad
            onefatdad commented
            Editing a comment
            With respect - not a "man up" issue, was just asking for assistance prior to using excessive force on a sticky piece of equipment. I do appreciate the counsel.

I did, in fact, use a soft face hammer on a carpeted floor and it did successfully re-engage.

Glad you got it fixed and in order, onefatdad.
          Orlando doesn't mean any disrespect, to say man up just means be prepared to use appropriate adult man level physical force on the trigger guard. We have seen too many people either not believe a mallet is the proper tool, which is probably why he included a pic, and have had way too many members hit it a dozen times with very inadequate force to close it, and say the technique doesn't work. Best of luck with your project Sir!
          m14brian

Comment

You dont have to be delicate with the m1. It us one if the toughest battle rifles created. Ar least it isn't a aggravating as a stinking sks trigger😁😁

Comment

Originally posted by Paulbroeder View Post
              You dont have to be delicate with the m1. It us one if the toughest battle rifles created. Ar least it isn't a aggravating as a stinking sks trigger😁😁
              I could not agree more, the SKS trigger assembly is really a PURA!

Comment

Working...
              X