Loading M1 Clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loading M1 Clip

When reloading the 8 round enbloc clip should the top round be on the left or right side ?

Interesting, technically it does not matter but I wonder if the military had something in mind.

Comment

It doesn't matter any more. The idea of always loading the enbloc so that the top round was on the right side began when jams were occurring at the 7th round. The problem occurred when the drilling the hole in the receiver for the barrel. They drilled too far into the receiver and cut off part of the left guide rib. The missing part of the guide didn't allowed the 7th round to be supported properly and allowed the 7th round to move around and possibly cause a jam. If the enbloc was loaded so that the 7th round was on the left side (top round on the left) a jam could occur. If the 7th round was on the right (top round on the right)...no jam. Until the problem of the left guide was discovered and resolved, loading the enbloc with top round on the right was a temporary fix.

Here are good pictures by Bubba1 that show the 7th round modification.
      https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...lained-in-pics

Comment

• David Milisock
        David Milisock commented
        Editing a comment
        That's interesting, I have an International Harvester shooter and never paid any attention to clip loading. Never had a malfunction either so I never went looking.

As jak said, from a mechanical point, it doesn't matter. However, from a practical point, it's easier to load the clip into the magazine if the top round is on the right side.
      Jon

Comment

There were a small number of receivers between the serial range of 37K to 43K that were manufactured with a large rib on the left side. The reason for this extra large rib is not known today but some collectors believe it was an attempt to cure the 7th round problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0721_0018.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	780.5 KB
ID:	23148

Comment

Working...
        X