Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How tight should the trigger assembly be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How tight should the trigger assembly be?

I bought a new CMP special and I am having a terrible time with it not picking up a new round from the clip. It eject the round after firing but does not pick up the next round. I rack the slide by hand and it goes right in with absolutely no issue. I have used original Enblocs loaded with original ammo right from the spam cans, I have used USGI Enblocs with M2 ammo from the cardboard boxes for the Springfield 03A3 and I have used the USGI Enblocs and my own 150 grain reloads . All exactly the same issue. Not every round and not the same round every time but at least one and many times several rounds per clip. I disassembled this rifle when I got it to check on the lubrication and all of the parts and it all looked good but I did notice that I had a very hard time getting the trigger guard to release and an even harder time to get reattached. I thought something was binding since it would not go the last inch into the locked position without having to force it in. I never force anything on a firearm! But after looking at it and checking everything many times over I came to the conclusion that with the new stock it is just tight. I read that tight makes for more accurate but I also read it can cause this issue. Just how tight should that trigger guard be in closing? And where would I relieve the wood to ease that pressure?

I figured that while waiting for an answer I would take it apart again after firing it yesterday and see if there was any interference in the op rod. There was not but I did find on the wood around the trigger group you could see a couple spots mostly on one side where it had pulled so hard it indented the trigger group into the wood. On top the same thing with the receiver, it was indented in a couple spots. And you can also see when looking across the bare stock that the woodwork is really poor! It is far from smooth from front to back where the trigger group sets in, it is lumpy and I am sure the angle is not right on one side. I am not going to do anything until I hear from you guys since you are much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to this but my though is to very lightly file away the high spots with a fine file and try to get a more uniform fit along the length of the trigger group and the receiver.

I wonder if it's short stroking?

Comment

Meaning? You are thinking it may be something else? I have tried several ammo's and several Enblocs to eliminate that possibility. The rifle is supposedly rebuilt to new from the CMP so it should all be to spec.

Comment

Do not file anything, its normal to see wood compression dents. A properly fitting stock is hard to close the guard
        You said you checked for lubrication and it "looks good" Do you know proper areas to " grease", notice I said grease ? The specials sometimes need some rds through them to ge to function properly especially if not properly greased
        You also need to remove the stock and look in barrel channel to see if there are any rub marks from the op rod. If so sand down these areas.
        These are areas I have had to sand on some of the commercial stocks

Also make sure the gas screw is "TIGHT" ,if loose rifle will short stroke
        Check all these things ,shoot again and report back
        Last edited by Orlando; 01-26-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Orlando has given you very good spots to check. I'd say the first things to check. If you know someone who has a Garand maybe you can check their stock for function with your rifle. The gas screw is an easy check.

Comment

When my RM1SPECIAL was new, I had short cycles occasionally with some old DCM ammo, which is loaded to almost .30-30 performance. It worked fins with loads in the range of M2 Ball.
            Note that the Garand really needs to greased in multiple places, or else the added drag from inadequate lubrication will cause malfunctions.
            Here's an excellent guide on all the places that should be greased:
            http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease
            The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
            The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Thanks Guys, I called the CMP today and explained in detail what it was doing and the head armorer told me it sounded like a op-rod or gas piston/tube issue and to send it back and they would check all of the parts. I asked about lubrication because I had gone over the whole gun and it was lubed pretty much the exact way your article shows Smokey.Not too much, just a fine coating. They are sending me a shipping label so I am going to send it back and let them do their thing, I would guess nobody has worked on more of these than those guys. And for what I paid for it I would like them to go over it and make sure it is right. If it was me then I am sure they will tell me and I will pass that on to you, I am far from the type to pass blame.
              And Smokey, Thanks for that article. I had been looking for something that comprehensive since I ordered this gun and could not find it. That article is going in the file for the gun. And speaking of files, I did not file anything but I did check for any interference with the op-rod or moving parts and found none.
              Last edited by Rickf1985; 01-28-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Orlando, I just wanted to let you know that I pulled it down again and I could see where it was rubbing in the same spot as the one you show in the pic. I called the CMP and asked if they wanted me to just clean it up and they said to send it anyway and they would take care of it and go over the entire system. I am not going to argue with that! I will let you all know how it works when it comes back.

Comment

I have worked on so many of those stocks its no big deal for me. CMP will take care of you

Comment

I sent this to them on Monday and it came back on Friday!!! Now THAT is service. The report says the op rod was replaced and the gas port was cleaned. Two 8 round clips of HXP fired with no problems. I could see where the op rod was touching the metal band on the bottom just a tiny bit at the end of its travel, maybe it was bent down and that would explain why it was also rubbing the stock. It definitely appears to have more clearance on the stock now. If the weather clears up and if the range is not flooded I will try it out tomorrow. It has been downright NASTY here last night and today.

Comment

Op rod rubbing slightly on stock ferrule is normal. This is a grease point, light coat

Comment

I called the CMP mostly to thank them for the very fast turn around and I just happened to get the armorer that worked on my rifle. What he found was that the gas port was just a hair undersized so he drilled it to spec and the oprod was bent just a tiny bit more than normal and that was the rub on the stock. It is amazing how friendly and willing to help these people are. Most companies I deal with when I have a problem very first thing is they blame you and the second thing is they say they couldn't find any problem. Not here, right up front and out there. He told me the port should have been checked before the rifle went out but sometimes if they get pressed for time they do not check the new barrels. But he said, a hole is made by a drill and drills get dull. The company apparently waited too long on this one. I asked him if there was ever a problem with the barrel rifling or interior finish and he said never, They have never had a problem with the Criterieon barrels as far as the barrel itself.

Comment

I know it has been a while since I updated this thread but the weather has kept me from going o the range. I finally made it there last week and I am happy to say the rifle is now working flawlessly. I fired 200 rounds without one single mishap. I want to say thanks to the guys at Anniston for helping me out with that and the extremely fast turn around! I sent the gun in on a Monday and it was back to me that Friday!!!! So this closes out this chapter in my Garand journey.

Comment

Working...
                          X