Springfield Armory Garand 1943

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springfield Armory Garand 1943

The Garand that I bought from 1943 has serial number 1378776. Let’s start there so I can find the month produced. Any other comments regarding marking of parts would be appreciated.

Would say Febuary
    Heres a start :
    Bolt- D28287 12SA
    Op Rod - uncut D35382 6SA
    Trigger housing - D28290 -12SA
    guard - forged
    hammer - C46008-3 SA
    SAFETY - C46015-9SA
    follower 11
    follower rod- short fork
    gas cylinder- narrow base
    gas cylinder screw- single slot
    rear sight- type II lock bar
    Stock- SA /EMcF

Comment

• RCS
      RCS commented
      Editing a comment
      early SA EMcF stock with tapered clip latch cut

Thanks for a good start.

Comment

Orlando I have basically the same rifle but my serial number puts it build date in September 1943. Upon checking the date on the barrel it indicates S A 4 50 as I understand that would make it an April 1950 barrel. Any idea why the barrel would have been upgraded? Is it possible that it was upgraded in order to be used during the Korean conflict? Shoots great by the way.

Comment

parts wear out and are replaced...…..may have been replaced another time before barrel that is on it now. No way to know

Comment

• wfolds
          wfolds commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks it is still a cool gun. I love shooting it...

Bill,
        Is the -9 safety with or without the hole? I'm thinking without--if my rememberer is working right, early -9's had the hole. I have a Sept. '42 SA and it is without the hole. Would that '43 have the sight seal? My '42 would've originally had the seal, but it's long gone although I do have a seal. I've just never tried to install it.
        Jon
        Last edited by TJT; 02-11-2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

wfolds,
          Remember that all WWII 30-'06 ammo was corrosive so the barrel probably became a sewer pipe from inadequate cleaning.
          Jon

Comment

TJT. There are multiple rifles in the thread now but I would think the February rifle would have a seal and the the September rifle would not. A technical bulletin published at the end of June indicates new rifles are beings manufactured without the seal and references a late May MWO that indicates if you remove the seal you do not have to replace it. I expect that in May the sight seal was possibly being eliminated from production rifles. It’s definitely not being used by late June according to the TB.

Comment

CC,
              MY rifle is from Sept '42. The February rifle (in the post above) is from '43. I'm still convinced that a Sept '42 rifle (800.000 sn range) would have the seal (narrow base and rebated screw head) and that the later Feb '43 rifle may or may not have the seal.
              Jon

Comment

Jon yes seal on the Sept 42, Feb 43 is the cut off for the seal but there is some overlap

Comment

Bill,
                  Thanks for the confirmation.
                  Jon

Comment

Wow, this is certainly an extremely complicated subject. Guess I’ll have to disassemble the M1 and take some pictures and rely on the forums expertise to zero in on what on bought. It is the only M1 Garand in my rifle collection, which is mainly SKS, Winchester & Marlin 1894, and more modern rifles.
                    Last edited by Victor Albetta; 02-23-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Albetta View Post
                      Wow, this is certainly an extremely complicated subject. Guess I’ll have to disassemble the M1 and take some pictures and rely on the forums expertise to zero in on what on bought. It is the only M1 Garand in my rifle collection, which is mainly SKS, Winchester & Marlin 1894, and more modern rifles.
                      I gave you info you need in post #2

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post

I gave you info you need in post #2
                        Thank you for the help. I will use it as a guide.

Comment

Finally got some time to investigate the Garand. Disassembly fine, but having a little trouble getting parts lined up correctly.

Here’s what I put down in my Garand Data page.

serial: 1378776
                          Receiver Drawing number: D28291-17
                          Heat Lot: S 8 B <>
                          Barrel Side Markings: S-A-6-46
                          Bolt: D28287- 12 SA
                          OP Rod: D 35382 6SA
                          Trigger Housing: D28290 6SA
                          Hammer: C 46008 -5SA
                          Follower: 11

Thanks for your help. Maybe you can now give me more information on the rifle and value.

Last edited by Victor Albetta; 02-26-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X