X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casings dented

Hello,
    My first day here.
    Can anyone tell me why my fired round casings are coming out 0f my M1 dented in the neck as shown in the photo? Thanks !!!
    Also, are they still reloadable?

MERRY CHRIST-MASS to y'all.
    Attached Files

It may be just that they've hit something when falling. When fired and being extracted they are very hot and soft.

Comment

The dents are normal.

https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...s-shaped-brass
      Last edited by jak; 12-12-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

If you reload, they'll disappear in the sizing process. As has been mentioned, totally normal.
        Jon

Comment

Welcome to the Forums - from "another newbie" to the forums here. Dented cases, as shown, will reform in the sizing die, as previously indicated. Also, dented cases in the body and shoulder (as in many 223 rounds or in the instance of cases sized with an excessive accumulation of sizing lube in the die body) will reform upon firing within the chamber of your rifle. I don't know for certain, but am convinced that dents (not cracks) in the case body and shoulder that will size in the die and chamber in your rifle do not affect the accuracy of that shot.
          Last edited by land_owner; 12-18-2019, 08:30 AM.

Comment

There are videos around that show what happens during the ejection process. The op rod on the return stroke frequently hits the brass while the brass is starting to move out of the action. The brass also hits part of the receiver if the op rod doesn't get it. While I haven't taken high-speed video of my rifle, the brass scuffs tell the story.
            The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
            The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
            X