Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Garand tidbits from a WW2 Vet

Hey Guys,

I hope this is the right spot for this. I've been communicating for the past couple of years with an awesome WW2 Veteran and we've gone over many topics. I recently brought up the Garand topic since he was an Armored Infantryman in the ETO. I wanted to share something he wrote:

"I carried the M1 Garand all the way, in fact I slept with it, as far as I am concerned it was the best weapon developed during World War Two and General Patton agrees with me on that point. As for the carbine, it was a village fighting weapon It was a short-range weapon. The M1 carbine was useless at 500 yds. On keeping our weapons clean during combat, I always checked the barrel to make sure it was open because that was about the only malfunction that would make that rifle not be usable. You could throw it in a mud hole and if the barrel was clear it would function, you might have to operate the bolt manually but it was still a formidable weapon. We were trained to clean that rifle blind folded. As you can see, I loved that M1."

Thanks,
    James
Working...
X