A garand deer hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A garand deer hunt

I'm new to the forum but have been shooting a garand for many years. I like service rifle matches with the garand, where it serves me well. I thought this year would be fun to take it on a deer hunt. I worked up handloads with suitable bullets for game.. All part of the fun. Of course I was aware the limits open sights have compared to a good scope, but was surprised a bit at what I experienced with the rifle. As I sat the first morning in the predawn light of a deer blind I had to think just a little what it might have been like if history had had me sitting in a fox hole at the battle of the bulge. The sling.. That wonderful aid to fine marksmanship at the range was noisy. The metal parts clinking together. I took it off least a deer be spooked at the noise. The sights were useless, until well after legal shooting time! I was mentally ready for the fact that you can't beat a scope for low light shooting but chagrined at thinking what a handicap it would have been had Nazis been slinking through the woods. A deer could wait..a missed opportunity not a matter of life or death. Maybe my eyes are getting old.. But the rear peep was a fuzzy blob at best.. The front blade invisible through it, additionally Shadowed by the protective wings. I wondered if the GI had any tricks for such situations. I was kind of wishing I had an ivory bead.. And maybe a bigger rear apature to look through. I never stuck my tag on a deer this past weekend but I did enjoy sitting in the woods with my garand despite the low light handicap morning and evenings.

Many years ago the first time I went hunting I brought my M1. I did not on a hunting rifle back then. Some friends of mine had brought me hunting on their property. I had no problems looking down those iron sights. But then again I was a lot younger then. 😂

Comment

Taking to a guy last night who had a relative was a Korean wear vet who had brought his rifle home. Rear sight peep was drilled out a lot bigger. Anybody seen that before?

Comment

When I lived in the hills of northwest CT I had to deal with charges by moose and black bear, being tracked by puma, and packs of wolves. Russian wild boar were also starting to move into the area. I carried my Garand loaded, safety on, in both hands, ready for a snap shot at a close-in charging problem. I liked having 8 rounds of .30-06 ready.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

,I’ve never hunted with a M-1 Garand, but I have hunted with my 1903 sportier. My rear sight is White and the muzzle has a white spot open range, Williams open range sight. My Sporter 1903 is not drilled for a scope. My 243 BDL 700 is scoped and a great rifle. But I do prefer the 1903.
          Last edited by AJ Brink; 12-22-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

The Texas game rangers are State Troopers, train thru the same academy in Austin, you can only carry 5 rounds including shot guns. The MDL hunt is on Military reservations. Lots of rules, and arms inspections. Only certain calibers, can be used, and buck tags are assigned, I noticed Garand 5 round clips, on EBay My 1903 30/06 is not allowed on My MLD hunt. I think the 5 round rule comply state wide.

Comment

Working...
            X