• Show
Clear All

• jak
    replied
    Thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

• TJT
    replied
    Sounds like you got it figured out. Good job. Have fun.
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• drinkmorejava
    replied
    Thank you all for your help. I believe I have resolved the issue.

As pointed out above, the lower band appears to be bent forwards and the front handguard is curved backwards. Having fully disassembled, this is accurate and caused there to be one point of contact. I replaced the lower band and sanded the handguard so they sit flush. Additionally, in the link above (https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=147599) there was some excess contact between the trigger guard and stock in area 4. I sanded this down as well. I've now put a number of rounds through without incident, so hopefully everything stays good.

Leave a comment:

• jak
    replied
    Originally posted by Orlando View Post
    It may be a optical illusion, the lower band is bent making the front handguard look curved. Change lower band or bend it straight (not a big deal. I have done it before) Then I still think you need to check that the nose of the "rear" handguard is not to long and is keeping the front handguard from sliding back. Look at my link, it shows this very problem
    You are correct. The band is bent slightly toward the muzzle end but if you enlarge the picture and put a straight edge on the front hand guard and band you can see the curvature of both pieces.

Leave a comment:

• drinkmorejava
    replied
    Originally posted by Orlando View Post
    It may be a optical illusion, the lower band is bent making the front handguard look curved. Change lower band or bend it straight (not a big deal. I have done it before) Then I still think you need to check that the nose of the "rear" handguard is not to long and is keeping the front handguard from sliding back. Look at my link, it shows this very problem
    Your thread is very helpful. I will need to reread a few times to make sure I catch everything. I wish I could post on CMP, but they have not approved my account and are not responding to any emails.

Leave a comment:

• Orlando
    replied
    Last edited by Orlando; 06-10-2022, 05:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drinkmorejava
    replied
    I have two new (used) bands. I'll replace the existing band and if necessary sand the hand guard so it is flush to the band. I will also do some research at Orlando's link as well to see what else I should check. I will not be able to test fire until the end of the month, but I will report back.

Leave a comment:

• jak
    replied
    Referring to your first 2 pictures, sand off the curve on the bottom of the front hand guard. The back should be straight and fit flush to the band.

Leave a comment:

• Orlando
    replied
    You dont want a gap between the receiver legs and the stock
    Take off lower band and straighten the lower band legs, simple fix. Once you do this report back how it turns out.

Leave a comment:

• drinkmorejava
    replied
    Thank you jak and and Orlando. I already spoke to the armorer and sent pictures and he really gave no suspicion there was more to it. I pressed on the fit being incorrect and he did not agree.
    • Looks like I don't have any gap between the stock and the rear receiver legs. (not sure what you mean by this.) I mean as shown in the attached image from an earlier post in this thread. If there is more correct language, I would love to know it
    • Front hand guard is lose.(it is suppose to have movement. Can you pull the front handguard towards the lower band more? If not the nose on rear handguard may be to long and may need sanded off) I cannot pull it down to hide all of the nose. However, the lower band is warped, so the hanguard is hitting the fingers (not sure what else to call them) of the lower band on the understand of the op rod.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Orlando
    replied
    It is normal to have to do a small amout of fitting with new commercial stocks.
    '
    • Looks like I don't have any gap between the stock and the rear receiver legs. (not sure what you mean by this.)
    • Front hand guard is lose.(it is suppose to have movement. Can you pull the front handguard towards the lower band more? If not the nose on rear handguard may be to long and may need sanded off)
    • Rear hand guard has maybe 1/32 to the receiver, but there is no gap to the lower band (rear handguard only needs a small gap at receiver end, you can sand alittle more of this end if you wish)
    Take a look at this thread for stock fitting How To: Reworking CMP/Dupage/Boyds M1 Garand Stocks - CMP Forums (thecmp.org)
    Last edited by Orlando; 06-06-2022, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jak
    replied
    Originally posted by drinkmorejava View Post
    ​​I feel bad reviving an old thread, but this seems like the best spot to check.

I recently received an expert grade (new barrel, new stock) Garand from the CMP, and the lower band pin hole is mangled like the prior poster's. CMP thought that this was just a mistake on their part and sent a replacement band, but I can't conceive how they would have assembled a rifle like this. My thought is something isn't quite right with the new stock, and that caused the damage during test firing.

Appreciate any support in advance.
    • Looks like I don't have any gap between the stock and the rear receiver legs.
    • Front hand guard is lose.
    • Rear hand guard has maybe 1/32 to the receiver, but there is no gap to the lower band

My advice is to contact CMP customer service and get a return label and send the rifle back to CMP and have them fix it.

Leave a comment:

• drinkmorejava
    replied
    ​​I feel bad reviving an old thread, but this seems like the best spot to check.

I recently received an expert grade (new barrel, new stock) Garand from the CMP, and the lower band pin hole is mangled like the prior poster's. CMP thought that this was just a mistake on their part and sent a replacement band, but I can't conceive how they would have assembled a rifle like this. My thought is something isn't quite right with the new stock, and that caused the damage during test firing.

Appreciate any support in advance.
    • Looks like I don't have any gap between the stock and the rear receiver legs.
    • Front hand guard is lose.
    • Rear hand guard has maybe 1/32 to the receiver, but there is no gap to the lower band

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Please let us know how it all works out.

Leave a comment:

• David Milisock
    replied
    If you're a person who likes to read and tinker you can make a quick study of bedding and also how the M1 stock is supposed to absorb recoil. It will solve this issue as well (it should) improve accuracy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X