Short Rifle M1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Rifle M1

Recent find at local gun shop.Not sure when the rifle was put together,,but seems to be in excellent condition inside and out.I have done quite a bit of research, but have not found much information on it.Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clue me in.

Don't know if this helps, but I've heard of Tankers but never seen one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand#Tanker_models

Comment

It's called a T-26. They were an experimental rifle made in theater in the South Pacific for the Airborne troops. There were only 200 fabricated. My late father was in the 503rd PIR in the SWPA and had one. I've written extensivey about them else where in other forums. If you have access to Duff's red book, look on page 101. The letter and info he quotes came directly from me from some correspondence I had with one of Dad's jump buddies. Sadly, my father passed waaay back in '79 and the only thing I remember him saying about it was that it was a full size rifle with an 18" barrel. After the war, they were all returned to standard M1 configuation. There are only 2 know legit T-26's in existence. 1 is in the Springfield museum and the other is at West Point. If any one tells you they have an original, they're as full of ​​​​crap as a Christmas goose.
      Jon
      Last edited by TJT; 08-27-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

As an aside, they were NEVER conceived for use by tank crews. For starters, there is no room for them inside a tank of that era. "Tanker" was a sales gimmick used by surplus sellers in the late 50's-60's and most of those were made up from de-milled/welded receivers and function was spotty at best.
        Jon

Comment

Thanks for the information fellas.I appreciate it.Really enjoying the M1 Garand Forum.

Comment

WW2 Sherman tanks had the Thompson (both models) than the M3 and M3A1 which last until about 1990 in some vehicles. Even the Lend Lease Sherman tanks to USSR had the Thompsons which have come back with cut receivers and parts. I have been in a Sherman and there is not a lot of room inside

Comment

If the T26 simply had a shortened barrel the question that begs is the varience in safe gas port pressure? Assuming there were no modifications to the gas system.

Comment

From having worked on this kind of project many years ago. I remember the gas port was a different diameter from the standard (like the 7,62mm conversions). Also a variance on other parts go into the modifications. I have a few old photos that I found Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019_0015_015.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	21144Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010027_0023_023.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	21145

Comment

Great information thanks, certainly they had to do something as providing specialty ammo jut for the T26 is a bad idea. I wonder if this was the workup to the M14 development?

Clearly if I was in a tank and had to go into infantry combat after escaping a damaged tank the Thompson or an M1A1 would have been a far better choice than the T26.
                  Last edited by David Milisock; 08-28-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X