Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you buying Original Finish ,NOS or Refinished Garand Parts?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you buying Original Finish ,NOS or Refinished Garand Parts?

Here are just a few tips when buying parts listed as NOS , unissued or original finish. I see so many refinished parts on E-Bay being sold as NOS and original finish. There are some sellers trying to take advantage of those who don't know any better and a lot of sellers just don't know any better. It is up to the buyer to arm themselves with information when purchasing parts
    First a real simple one is just look at the parts, are there scratches, pitting, dents under the finish? If so these are refinished parts.
    Also just because parts come in wrap does not automatically make them NOS. Arsenal repacks can be used parts that were inspected for wear , if they passed they would be refinished and wrapped for future use. Also light gray in color parts, these were parts that were arsenal refinished later

The following does not cover everything but are a few things to look for

NOS gas cylinders do not have stacking swivels attached and threads are not parkerized. The gas cylinder in wrap on left is a used arsenal repack on right NOS

Stock Swivels, NOS on right, threads not parkerized, on left refinished

Stock ferrules when refinished the brazing tends to show, more on some than others. This can also happen on lower bands
    NOS on right, refinished on left

Windage knob threads are shiny on NOS and original finish
    NOS on right, refinished on left

NOS and original finish elevation knob pinions will be shiny, not parkized
    Original finish on right, refinished on left

NOS & original finish triggers the pins will be shiny not dark

NOS and original finish Post War Op Rod Catches, pins will be in the white, WWII and refinished catches will be parkerized
    Last edited by Orlando; 09-18-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

NOS and original finish Gas Screws the bottom of piston will be shiny, they will be dark if screw is refinished/blackened. Don't mistake carbon build up for chemical blackening

Inspect the hammer camming lug/spur. It should be proper length, no chips (sometimes people file them to get rid of damage).It should be sharp, zero chips. The two on left are very used, on right NOS

Just a few things to look for, will post more as I have time

Comment

Very informative. Thank you.

Comment

Excellent stuff - the devil is truly in the details!

Thanks for putting that together for folks!

Comment

Outstanding as always, Bill!
            m14brian

Comment

I'm very new to Garands. This is great info. Thanks!

Comment

I qualified with the M1 in early 60's and started collecting in 2000. All I can say is pictures are worth a thousand words.

Thanks Bill.

Comment

Brian
                  I nominate this thread to be made a sticky. Bill thank you for posting. Excellent photos and great explanations.

Comment

As always, good informative post.

Comment

That's some really good info! Thanks!
                      Now I just need to get my brainpan to remember it all...

Comment

All of the above. Much of the stash is re-parked stuff from CMP estore. Just love clicking and waiting for FED-EX to arrive with my presents.

Comment

You’re right you really need to watch out on E-Bay, I’ve seen parts with the cosmoline on them to hide the real worn part. And stating NOS part. I’ve also been fooled by the photos, If your looking for an original, try the Garand guy Tony. Best to E mail him. As the years pass these parts will be getting rare. CMP is also a good source, the parts inventory at CMP is, well I will say they have have a lot of parts.
                          Last edited by AJ Brink; 12-14-2020, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Very good post! I have also seen a company that is named US Military that is selling NOS parts as they claim. They are new production parts made recently.
                            example: U.S. Military follower. It’s not authentic but they make it look aged and add grease. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/408210

then look, the same company U.S. Military makes reporoduction scabbards.
                            https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1049830

You really need to pay close attention when buying NOS or even “authentic” parts.

Comment

I have been dealing with a fellow in Arkansas, I’ve ordered from him for several years 1903 and M-1 his prices are very reasonable, it’s old used stuff, USGI except his leather slings, and chin rests nice quality leather. AJ

Comment

Working...
                              X