What can we know about this barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can we know about this barrel?

Many years ago I had a fellow I believe named Gene Garber or Gen Garner re-barrel this rifle, I bought the barrel for $125, which included the shipping and he charged me $130 to mount, headspace it and reset the front sight. To me it says Springfield 63, National Match is that correct?

Yes you are correct

Comment

Great I thought so, as a shooter I rarely concern myself but my neighbor who inherited a Grand was questioning me. I simply try and only do business with people I trust so I always figured I got what I paid for. Thanks.

Comment

What do we know? More than you might think SA F7791034 has a Bore of .2995+.002 Groove .3075 +.002 and as long as its straight should be a good shooter..

Barrel SA F7791035 has a Bore of .300+.001 Groove .3075+.001

Comment

Ok Phil I'll bite. How do we know that from what I showed you?
          BTW just FYI you're right about it being a shooter, I played with the rifle for some time as it is not collectable I bought a proper Garand scope mount and shot at some precision targets at 300 yards. I have 223 Howa, a Remington 700 BDL in 6mm Remington and a Remington 03 chambered to 358 Norma Magnum, all custom built and all print 1 1/8" and sometimes a little better groups at 300 yards. Imagine how surprised I was to regularly print 2" groups and occasionally 1 3/4" groups with this Grand at 300 yards.

The scope sighting system on the Garand takes getting used to but that rifle with a sniper rig and a rifleman in command is a formidable rifle even 80 years after it was designed. I'm happy to have one to pass on to my son.

Comment

Back in the old days before electricity was invented and Al Gore invented the interwebs and made millions selling carbon credits...... No the drawings and specs were published a long time ago, these barrels being original to no rifle were made available at the National Matches and too DCM affiliated clubs and there members.

Comment

Phil I figured as much, I'm just glad I got it and it worked out so well. The amazing thing to me is that a military rifle designed in the 30's can shoot so well. Yes it's bedded but I have had no trigger work done. I have an AR15 A2 green label that's not much better and it's had trigger work done.

Comment

Working...
              X