Need help first time owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help first time owner

Well first time just want too say this is my first m1 garand and i am beyond excited to see what this rifle has too offer me so to begin its a winchester receiver with a 2.4 million serial number i was told it has a new stock on it which i guess is ok with me makes the rifle look amazing. But now to begin why i am posting i finally got my chance to shoot the rifle for the first time now i properly went through all the checks of oiling and greasing the rifle before first use well i am shooting HXP 30-06 out of the gun for and it loads and fires the first round fine ejects and loads in the 2nd round that also fires and ejects and loads the 3rd round here is where the problem happens the rifle just goes click and will not fire so after looking at the gun very carefully i have noticed that the trigger guard has popped out of its retainer near the trigger so i pushed it back in and again only about two rounds then pops out again it is a stamped trigger guard so im not really sure how to pursue a fix for this hence why i am here.

Either the trigger guard lugs are worn with flat spots or the wood stock is compressed where the trigger group sets or a combination of both.Remove trigger group and take a picture of both sides and post it here

Comment

I had a similar problem years ag and the response was all over the place, as much as $175 for new parts alone. I managed to get 25 years worth of the American Rifleman Magazine and copied al the articles on the M1 and fixed it for 75 cents. It was a clip latch spring.

Comment

Originally posted by David Milisock View Post
        I had a similar problem years ag and the response was all over the place, as much as $175 for new parts alone. I managed to get 25 years worth of the American Rifleman Magazine and copied al the articles on the M1 and fixed it for 75 cents. It was a clip latch spring.
        A clip latch spring does not cause the trigger guard to unlatch

Comment

I also took it that the loads were being ejected, I took it that the clip was popping out.

Comment

There are NO springs--ANY WHERE-- holding a trigger group in an M1. It's a mechanical locking system--PERIOD!
            Listen to Bill (Orlando). As always, he's spot-on.
            Jon

Comment

so the trigger group was not fully latched into the closed position... hxp ammo is long gone ,got lots of hxp brass to keep me reloading for a while ..
              Last edited by Twhiite; 09-29-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Hxp is good brass for reloading. Make sure to trim it to the proper length every couple of reloadings.
                Jon

Comment

Working...
                X