Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post m1 garand?

Hello people,

i am roel and i live in the netherlands, and i recently purchased a m1 garand.
    The owner told me that it is an 1943 one, but i think it is a 1953 because of the serialnumber.
    can you help me date my rifle and maybe give adittional info?

thank you in advance
    roel

if you need a better photo please let me know.

Comment

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Roel. From the serial #, your rifle was manufactured in 1954. It was reworked at the Letterkenny Army Depot in Pennsylvania in April 1969 indicated by the 'LEAD 4-69" marking on the receiver. Note...DO NOT remove this marking. The trigger housing and op rod are WWII, The trigger guard is WWII Winchester. The barrel was made in January 1954. It looks like it has a British proof mark "BNP" on the barrel which means it was in Great Britain at one point.

Comment

• ZombieOutlaw
          ZombieOutlaw commented
          Editing a comment
          I love it when someone asks a question and the person answering has total knowledged. It just amazes me. I should have asked that same question here. Instead I was all up in google finding each answer. Took about three days to complete. Much respect!

Thank you for your reply jak!
        Last edited by Roel; 07-20-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

So they just took parts from different rifles to make as many as they could,
          and then sell them to the public?
          is it a cmp rifle or did that not excist at that time?

Comment

Not a CMP rifle. Its a rifle that was sent to Letterkenny Arsenal for a rebuild. When rebuilt they did not keep all same parts together, there is no need.

Comment

• ZombieOutlaw
              ZombieOutlaw commented
              Editing a comment
              The guy at the gun shop where I bought mine told me that basically when the weapon came in to be rehabed, they took it apart, threw the parts in boxs with matching parts, (triggers with triggers, receivers with receivers etc) and when they were done rehabing the parts they just pulled each part from each box a voila, you had a refirbed rifle. Hell mine is a Springfield with a Winchester trigger. I'm just glad I got one.

Mostly likely an "Interarms " gun. Interarms had a large warehouse in England back in the day. From this warehouse they shipped guns all over the world.

Comment

A very large number of Garands went through an ordinance facility rebuild. The resulting rifle is frequently a mixture of sound, in-specification parts from multiple manufacturers and different years of production. The resulting rifle was required to be safe, reliable, meet a minimum accuracy standard and be fit for issue to a combat infantryman.
              More on this here:
              https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...rand-rebuilds/
              The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
              The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• ZombieOutlaw
                ZombieOutlaw commented
                Editing a comment
                "minimum accuracy standard" well that's not comforting especially for the infantyman of the era.
            Working...
            X