Fair price for a rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair price for a rifle

I am looking at a M1 GARAND that I would like to purchase. Would appreciate some help on a fare price with the information I have if possible. Have some photos a friend has sent me. The receiver and barrel look good. The stock is rough and some of the metal has been refinished over pitting. The receiver is stamped SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 7101XXX. Want to buy a rifle to shoot.

Whats he asking, sounds pretty rough? If you take your time you can find a nice rifle with no pitting in the $850 -$900 range or buy a very nice rifle from CMP for $750 delivered

Comment

It's made by Springfield Armory Inc., a private commercial company, NOT the US Gov't owned Springfield Armory (i.e. it's not a REAL M1). I'd pass on it altogether at ANY price. The USGI Springfields stopped in the 6 million serial number range.
      Jon
      Last edited by TJT; 07-14-2019, 10:22 PM.

Comment

That is not a USGI manufactured rifle. AND it's simply very weird that any Springfield Inc rifle would have refinished over pitted parts on it or a rough stock. It may indicate an early SA Inc rifle or one that someone built using an SA Inc receiver. Early SA Inc rifles had a multitude of problems. But worse yet, if that rifle is a put together by an unknown someone you have no idea who or whether that person was skilled or qualified enough to build a safe to shoot M1 Garand.

My strong advice to you is to run, not walk far away from that rifle regardless of the price. You may be looking at a rifle Bubba put together from a bunch of rough, old parts and is trying to dump because it's laden with problems.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information. The rifle is owned by the widow of someone I new. I have previously purchased M1 GARAND parts from her. Was hoping to build a rifle until I discovered what a new receiver cost. Was probably a bad idea anyway. The back up plan is to sell or trade the parts. Also purchased military surplus ammunition. I appreciate the history behind one of the greatest rifles ever designed and built. And I appreciate my parents generation that put the rifles to good use. Sadly, I will pass this information on to the owner of the rifle and continue my search.

Comment

Working...
          X