Garand Misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garand Misfire

Bought a Garand from the CMP. Took it out today for thr first time. First clip cycled fine. After that, every round fired would eject, but it wiuld not pick up a new round, Action had to be cycled manually. Also, after the last shot, the clip would not eject, again having to cycle it maunally. Any ideas what it might be? I know it's kinda hard to diagnose online, but maybe someone else has had the same issue. Ammo and clips were both bought at the CMP north Store. Thanks in advance.

Rifle is short stroking which can be caused by many different issues. Start with the simple first, did you disassemble the rifle, clean and properly grease it before taking to the range? If not you need to. Might also help if you tell us what grade you bought and does it have a new commercial stock?

Comment

Has the gas plug loosened? That is the most common problem that will cause short stroking. That and incomplete or inadequate lubrication, most importantly grease in the proper locations.

Comment

Took some advice. Dissassembled the weapon and per Youtube videos...greased everything that slides and oiled everything that rolls. Gonna try that and see. Yes, in my old school training, light oil is better. I guess not in the case of the Garand. Greased her up pretty good.

Comment

Don't over-grease it. It doesn't take much. Be forewarned--if you over-grease an M1 rifle, you'll be wearing the excess all over your face. Ask me how I know this.
          Jon

Comment

So what grade is it and does it have a commercial stock?

Comment

Took her out today and gave it a try...80 rounds through and never missed a lick. Now, If I could just learn the trick of reloading the Enbloc so that one round is not taller than the rest..LOL Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by firespot View Post
                Took her out today and gave it a try...80 rounds through and never missed a lick. Now, If I could just learn the trick of reloading the Enbloc so that one round is not taller than the rest..LOL Thanks for the advice.
                Take a piece of wood with you and tap the bullet end of rd to seat into enblocs

Comment

It's really quite simple--make sure each and every round is fully seated in the clip before inserting the next one. Pay attention to what you're doing. It matters not whether the top round is on the left or right as far as the rifle is concerned. However, top round on right is easier to load.
                  Jon
                  Last edited by TJT; 07-16-2019, 09:52 PM.

Comment

If you got the enblocs at the North Store, they might be heavily parkerized with a rough finish. Get some steel wool and polish the enbloc, inside and outside.

Comment

• Benzeen1
                      Benzeen1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Or throw them in your tumbler for a few hours..
                  Working...
                  X