Newb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb Question

Looking on CMP website they talk about measurements of muzzle gauge and throat erosion.
    Can someone explain what those measurement mean. I think I have a basic idea.
    Also what is acceptable, and what should i avoid.
    Thanks y'all

Bore and muzzle erosion is measured with a special tool. It give a reference to amount of wear to the bore. The tools are not that expensive and handy to have. Maybe someone will post a photo of one and its use.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
      Bore and muzzle erosion is measured with a special tool. It give a reference to amount of wear to the bore. The tools are not that expensive and handy to have. Maybe someone will post a photo of one and its use.
      Thanks. What are acceptable measurements?

Comment

The lower the numbers the better. Anything around a 1 or 2 is considered to be like new. The more wear, the higher the numbers get. However, don’t let numbers scare you. There have been prior instances in which barrels with a reading around 5 or 6 still yield decent accuracy. But generally the lower the numbers, the better the barrel.

here is what a gauge looks like

https://www.fulton-armory.com/throat...m1-garand.aspx

Comment

Conversely, a "new" (by gage standards) barrel can shoot like crap too. Ask me how I know.
          Jon

Comment

Thanks y'all answers a lot of my questions.

Comment

Working...
            X