Receiver operating rod problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiver operating rod problem

I re-barreled this Garand recently and test fired it at home. There were some follower issues with rounds not chambering. The ammo I’m using is Greek surplus already in en-blocs. The operating rod worked fine though. When I took it out today for some accuracy tests, the sixth round did not extract. It stopped in the position in the picture. The operating rod is not original to the gun. The receiver has some pitting as you can see in the photos. Question is: Can I do anything to fix this? Like some filing. Or do I need to try the original op-rod? Maybe just use this as parts? Pic of the original op-rod in there as well.

Thanks, Jon

I am not sure exactly what the issue is. Can you explain it in detail exactly what is happening?

Comment

Are you absolutely, positively, without a doubt, sure the barrel is timed correctly? Is the receiver perhaps a welded one? It looks like the op rod is bent inwards behind the.pull tab. Is the tab/ op rod in spec? Did you lube every thing correctly? Could be the ammo. Maybe try some other ammo or home-rolled ammo. Is the inside of the op rod track as pitted as the outside of the receiver? Maybe some stoning of the track is in order. Try the original op rod. If it works, the non-original op rod is the culprit.
      Jon
      Last edited by TJT; 06-23-2019, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Maybe I'm just blind but, the pictures are not telling me anything. Is that a welded receiver?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The operating rod is getting jammed in the area in the photos. I put the original op-rod on it this morning and it moves freely. The other op-rod moved freely also before yesterday. I also put 32 rounds through it before I did some accuracy testing. I also shot it with the original op-rod with no hang ups. I don’t know why it started hanging up. I’ll do some more test firing later. And the receiver is not welded just some pitting. I’m thinking the pitting has something to do with it. As far as the barrel being timed. Well I think I got it right. I used the angle finder method along with the visual method with metal rods. I hope this explains better. I’m not very good at putting things to words.

Thanks, Jon

Comment

If t's working wth the original op rod, you know where the problem is. If you want to use the replacement op rod, send it to Columbus Machine Co and they'll make it as good as new. Don't know what they charge as I've never needed their services.
            Jon

Comment

The original op-rod does run fine. It seems to be the top of the channel and the top “tab”,I’m not sure what the proper name is, of the other op-rod just aren’t jiving. It’s odd that there didn’t seem to be a problem when I installed the replacement. Started out great. I didn’t even have to help it forward to chamber the first round. I think it was the sixth that failed to go all the way in. Every round ejected. The original op-rod is fine as far as the front end goes. I pretty much changed it out because of the pitting on the handle. It might be just as well. I parkerized it along with all my other parts, so it matches. Thanks for the replies. I’ll do some more test firing to see if this repeats with the original.

Thanks, Jon

Comment

I don't see any grease on/in that rifle. The kind of stoppage you describe is fairly typical of a dry Garand.
                The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
                X