New M1 buyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New M1 buyer

Hello, as the title says I'm looking to pickup my first Garand. A local store has one (a H&R M1) listed for $1k; I was hoping to get some second opinions on potential issues I've seen. First is that there is a 'cut out' in the stock after the magwell that i do not see in any other pictures of Garand stocks and what appears to be pitting on the receiver above the wood line. They do not have any serial numbers listed online. IF these are potentially cosmetic issues and the rifle is a good shooter that's great, not really looking for a project gun. Any help or tips on what to look out for when looking at it in person would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

It takes YEARS and YEARS of studying these rifles to know what to look for or what you're looking at, not a couple of on-line sessions. Get the books and read, read, read, and then read some more. As for the rifle in question, the asking price is waaaaay too high for its condition. Were it half the price, I'd still run from that one.
    Jon

Comment

Skip on that one. Your best bet for a nice rifle in my opinion is to order a service grade from CMP. I've never been disappointed. Some are better than others for sure, but it's the best $750 you can spend in the M1 world.

Comment

Like TJT said, run away from that one. milgunsguy has a nice garand for sale in the "For Sale" section. Good price. Look at his pictures and then compare those to the POS that your local store is trying to sell you.

Comment

It's not too bad.
          Only if you like buying scrap metal and firewood

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time going and looking at it. There are plenty of "good" garands around for sale

Comment

Don't get too excited about that one. It's about $1000 over priced. Even considering that one tells me you need help before you go shopping for an M1. Find someone who can help and NEVER EVER believe a Gunshop salesman concerning Garands unless you can verify their competence and experience concerning them. You are ripe for the picking and that salesman knows it.

Comment

Working...
              X