Most accurate weight bullet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most accurate weight bullet.

Has anyone done any serious accuracy testing with the Garand? If so, what weight bullets and velocity do you feel give the best accuracy? So far my Garand really likes 172 grain bullets.

The answer will be driven in large part by what distance you want the accuracy to. Generally, for most "combat" ranges, bullet weight is less important than bullet consistency and quality. and particularly by careful load development.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Here is a photo of the white tip low recoil 7,62mm cartridge developed for Viet Nam service and a very early WCC 58 7,62mm Match cartridge. This WCC 58 Match cartridge uses a 200 gr bullet from the AMU testing. It was used for slow firing and was too long for the M14 magazine and had to be loaded by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Benzeen1 View Post
        Has anyone done any serious accuracy testing with the Garand? If so, what weight bullets and velocity do you feel give the best accuracy? So far my Garand really likes 172 grain bullets.
        It may seem so but many people get pretty amazing accuracy with 110-125 grain bullets. I prefer 155gr but use 168 in my M1D for the longer ranges. Load development is the key with any weight bullet. Different bullets, different powders, different OAL's crimp or no crimp, different primers all play a part. Velocity has little to do with it. My most accurate 155g match load is mid range and much lower velocity than standard Ball.

Often, someone else's pet load won't perform in your rifle. No matter though since in a 2-4 average MOA rifle it's virtually impossible to determine small accuracy improvements at all anyway. It's no precision rifle by a long shot.

Comment

Working...
        X