Help me with value estimation for my CMP april 1942 M1 Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with value estimation for my CMP april 1942 M1 Garand

Hello everyone. New member to this forum but not new to gun forums in general. I have a question i have nobody else to ask. please see below.

I have M1 that i purchased from CMP about 10 years ago. It has brand new dark brown walnut stock and possibly new barrel (looks to good to be original 1942)
    Rifle has been refurbed by CMP and now looks like new. It's a Springfield gun April 1942 manufacture. I personally have not fired the rifle and it looks exactly the same as 10 years ago when i bought it. No rust anywhere or dings on the stock - pretty much like new refurb.

My question is what should i expect resale value for this example to be? I'm thinking of possibly trading it for another gun but since i don't know much about Grands i don't want to make a stupid/uneducated trade mistake.

thank you all for your input. Looking forward finding out more about my M1.
    Last edited by speedster88; 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM.

I don't remember CMP building rifles 10 years ago but I could be wrong, time flys
    Its possibly a arsenal rebuild.
    Pull back op rod and look on side of barrel. What is stamped on it?
    Pull action from the stock, is there anything etched on the right side receiver leg? Mid to late 1960's rebuilds were etched there. Best thing to do would be to post pics of major parts that are stamped and stock

Comment

thanks! i will try to remove stock and take some pics tonight

Comment

here are the pics of the two M1s i have.
        Tell me what those markings mean and which barrel is more value.

Comment

Top photo, Springfield Armory, May 1945 manufacture. Second photo, Springfield Armory, drawing number, Janurary 1955 manufacture, heat lot, and proof marks.

Value could depend on someone wanting a 1-55 barrel for their rifle from that era, someone restoring a late war rifle could spend more for the 45 barrel. Depends on condition and how badly someone wants it.

Comment

those are not CMP built Garands. The 1945 barreled rifle has been refinished/rebuilt , cant tell about the other. Need to take more pictures, also some from further away

Comment

The 1945 barrel is only worth more if the barrel breech is "in the white" indicating it hasn't been refinished. But only to someone specifically looking for a 5 45 barrel. Being on a 1942 receiver means the rifle was either field or arsenal rebuilt. Perhaps even after WWII with a left over barrel.

What's it worth? It's worth the price of a mixmaster CMP Service Grade unless it has a bunch of 1942 WWII parts on it. I'm pretty certain CMP wasn't in the business of rebuilding or assembling rifles from parts 10 years ago. They were, I believe, still shipping out Greek returns in 2009. They may have been putting new stocks on some rifles that were making the grade finish and condition wise but had unserviceable wood.

There is no actual or remotely possible way to determine resale value without way more information concerning how much is correct on the rifle. Barrel dates on a rebuild are only a tiny part of the value and being it doesn't match the receiver date, as in this case, it actually decreases the overall value of the rifle. If the barrel was original it might have increased the value by 25% regardless of any other correct parts or not.
              Last edited by lapriester; 05-22-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X