Spare Gas Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare Gas Cylinder

I have the opportunity to buy an unissued gas cylinder for around $70 USD equivalent.... I'm trying to buy up some spares for mt M1 here in Europe before stocks of stuff by Beretta etc., dry up. I'm wondering though, is a gas cylinder something I'm likely to ever need, do they wear out and should I grab the opportunity to have a spare on hand.

Also, any advice on what spares you guys do keep / have needed, would be good please.

Not an expert by any means on what parts are most susceptible to breakage, but I picked up some extractors, ejectors, and various springs as spare parts in the event something does break down. That said, I also just happen to have spare gas cylinders, op rods, stocks, and trigger groups as a result of swapping pieces and parts out. I'll probably get a spare firing pin as well at some point.

Comment

Springs....all of them. If you currently have a well in spec cylinder and you don't shoot thousands of rounds a year or get involved in constant fire fights you won't need a spare cylinder in your lifetime and the next after reincarnation. Clip latch, follower arm, follower, firing pin, internal bolt parts, trigger, hammer and various pins. A barrel if yours is barely servicable.

Comment

If you rifle is all well in spec I would not waste time or money collecting parts. At the most in your life time you may only need springs

Comment

The barrel is new. So is pretty much else (Danish contract Beretta). I've got a new SA trigger group & bolt but the op rod looks totally out of place because it's a pretty heavily used SA so stands out.... I guess op rods are not something that typically fail either?

Comment

If your op rod goes out of spec, you're not going to be having much fun at the range. The tab and piston both must be in spec, out of spec tabs can jump out of the track during firing.

Comment

If money is no object buy any parts you can find while they still are available. A good spare op rod and gas cylinder is nice to have.

Comment

Working...
              X