Lower band loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower band loose

Guys the lower band on my Danish contract Beretta M1 is loose. Now my band on unique to Europe Garands so I can't just pick up another band on ebay. I'm wondering how critical to accuracy a tight band is?
    I'vee shimmed it with some electrical tape just for now, but any advice would be appreciated.

A tight band is critical to accuracy. Peen the barrel seat where it sits. The electrical tape will melt from the heat of firing the rifle.
    Jon

Comment

Any tips or videos on doing this that you know of?

Is it likely that the barrel or the band is my problem?

Comment

No vids that I'm aware of. Just take the band off and take a prick-punch and hammer and stipple the Hell out of the seat. You should be able to raise enough material that the band needs to be driven on. A tight band helps with accuracy. As for your "problem"--it may not fix it but it can't hurt any. Stock bedding is the usual culprit to poor accuracy. Of course if the barrel is shot-out, the only fix is a new barrel. No one can tell you what's wrong without a hands-on evaluation.
        Jon
        PS--I'll answer the next question before you ask: NO, by peening the band-seat, there will be no deformation of the bore itself.

Comment

Working...
        X