Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody bother looking for one of these yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody bother looking for one of these yet?

Lets try it on its own. We all end up finding cool stuff associated with Garands, but here is a cool accessory that is often overlooked. I just think these are a gorgeous looking bit of American history, and even though only loosely associated with Garands, look really cool when you put them together.

For the somewhat newer guys, why would a Garand guy want one of these?

Hard to find one with a box nowadays.

Comment

Pretty cool. Didn't they use those to blacken the gas cylinder ? Whoops, front sight...
      Last edited by Bubba1; 04-23-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately when I took this picture it got cropped from the photo. Maybe I’ll have to update the photo. These shooters were familiar with the lamps.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	8B636EC6-B860-454B-B7D0-7BDE8EE48722.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	197.8 KB ID:	19441
        Last edited by CCyooper; 04-23-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Yes, they leave a nice coating of very dark soot. Somewhere in a manual somewhere it shows a picture of a soldier using one to blacken his front sight. I know I have seen it but I cannot recall where it is.

Here it is putting a nice dark soot on so you can see how black it is - it almost absorbs the light that hits it.

Of course nowadays there is a nice little tool that more accurately and precisely blackens (from Ray-Vin) and fits in a shooting bag more easily, but it is nowhere near as cool as an old brass miners lamp. (JMHO)

Comment

Working...
          X