• Show
Clear All

• Weird Issue

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190402-123956_Photos.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	19066

So, I have an M1 Garand and I just picked it up a few days ago. I took it apart very carefully and slowly, cleaned it, oiled it, and greased it. However, I noticed my bolt has a bit of resistance at the beginning to halfway through the racking. The weird thing is, when my trigger group is out, it works perfectly, no issue. Even when I have my trigger group partially in, it works great. But, when I fully snap down and lock in my trigger group, that's when I start getting the issue of the bolt not racking smoothly. Anyone else have this issue or know why?
    Last edited by Austin3495; 04-02-2019, 06:59 PM.

Its normal. Its the bottom side of the bolt riding of the top of the cocked hammer.

Comment

• Austin3495
      Austin3495 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, that gives me some peace of mind. Is it also normal that my bolt sometimes stops halfway when closing? (empty magazine/no clip inserted). FYI It looks either re-parkerized or possibly unfired. When I cleaned it, there was very very little to no carbon build-up anywhere pretty much. So, I figured it was due to that, but still kind of made me a bit weary to just go and fire it, even if I'm using M1 specific rounds.

You need to properly lube the rifle. Do you have rifle grease for the points that need grease? Also the recoil spring needs to be oiled.

Comment

• Austin3495
      Austin3495 commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe I did. I got the recommended Break Free CLP gun oil, oiled the springs, and then went over contact points, and extra points that I thought might touch, with Lubriplate 130-a. I just ordered a new Orion op rod spring earlier today to hopefully help.

Sometimes the bolt on hand closing on an empty chamber will hang up on the slide and follower. When closing the bolt that way you need to depress the follower by hand. Be careful or you will get an M1 thumb.

Comment

That's normal and why you grease the bottom of the bolt. It drags the hammer on it's way back against hammer spring tension even when the hammer is cocked. The resistance is even worse when the bolt cocks the hammer.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the responses, helped me out a ton!

Comment

Here's an excellent reference for greasing and lubricating the Garand:
          http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease
          I normally grease every place they cover; even the ones that seem to be optional.
          Any good automotive grease will work fine.

Comment

I use white lithium grease on my guns for lubricantion. It is what is used for the minigun and is what I use on my M134. If the grease can withstand a minigun, it can handle any service rifle
            Last edited by GUNHEEP; 04-14-2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GUNHEEP View Post
              I use white lithium grease on my guns for lubricantion. It is what is used for the minigun and is what I use on my M134. If the grease can withstand a minigun, it can handle any service rifle
              IMHO white lithium grease is fine for lubricating your car door latches and recliner mechanism but not an acceptable grease for Garand lubrication. Most any synthetic axle grease or Lubriplate 130 are far better choices. One of the best choices I've uae for years is the 60's military gun grease you can often pick up in 1# cans on eBay. 1# will last a lifetime

Comment

White lithium grease is recommended for the M134 Minigun. If it is good enough for a gun firing 60rds/sec, 3200rds /minute, it is more than adequate for a M1 Garand or any other service rifle for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by GUNHEEP View Post
                  White lithium grease is recommended for the M134 Minigun. If it is good enough for a gun firing 60rds/sec, 3200rds /minute, it is more than adequate for a M1 Garand or any other service rifle for that matter
                  Maybe. Maybe not. You know what can happen when you ass-u-me. There may be very good reasons it's recommended for a Minigun (clearances, viscosity, tolerances) and a dozen reasons it's never in any recommended list of proper lubrication for a Garand. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. You simply can't be sure of it's adequacy without all the facts and that IS a fact.

One thing is for certain with white lithium grease. If you use it and store the rifle for any length of time it hardens into a cruddy mess you almost have to scrape off. Axle greases, especially synthetics, do none of that. White Lubriplate 130 kinda does the same but it takes much longer. That's why I stopped using it years ago too. Got tired of looking at yellowed white semi hardened grease on my rifles.
                  Last edited by lapriester; 04-19-2019, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X