Garand bolt issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garand bolt issue

I recently purchased a garand barrel, bolt, and receiver to build into a rifle. Before sending it off to my gunsmith to get it barreled and headspaced I figured I would just hand tighten the barrel and run the bolt to make sure everything is in check and when doing so, the bolt could not completely close. It seems that when it contacts the barrel it’s about 1/4 of an inch short of full battery. The only way i can get it to go fully into battery is by backing out the barrel about 1/4 of inch to where the threads are showing. Does anyone know why this is happening or if it’s normal and fixed when other parts are added to the rifle? Any info helps. Thanks!

The barrel has to be properly indexed/installed on the receiver for the bolt to close.....not almost installed. The extractor fits in a cutout in the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
      The barrel has to be properly indexed/installed on the receiver for the bolt to close.....not almost installed. The extractor fits in a cutout in the barrel.
      This! Everything will be fine once the barrel is properly installed. Be sure your Gunsmith knows how to properly install, index and headspace an M1 Garand. Many/most modern Gunsmiths don't have the slightest clue how to do it correctly. Be sure and ask him about his experience with Garands. Inexperienced ones can really muck things up for you. Personally, I wouldn't let someone without extensive experience touch it. If you have doubts contact Tim Shufflin at Shuff's Parkerizing. He does exceptional work at decent prices and is highly experienced in M1 Garand Gunsmithing.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/

You might also consider the CMP Custom Shop. Their prices are in line with Shuff but their lead time can be long.
      Last edited by lapriester; 04-03-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X